First Argo , IC 8x8 kohler kt17, power supply , elec accessories.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Argo , IC 8x8 kohler kt17, power supply , elec accessories.

First Argo , IC 8x8 kohler kt17, power supply , elec accessories.

image.jpgimage.jpgHi guys ,
    Just bought my first Argo, here in Ireland where they are very rare . Fair play on a great Forum ,it's been a wealth of information so far , and everyone seems so willing to help out .
    Just wondering how much elec power my kohler kt 17 generates . From what I read I think it's 15amps. Is this enough to supply my brake blower , some work lights / driving lights and 2000lb winch, which I was planning on fitting ?
    Any advice on battery size to run . Would it be a good idea to add a heavier battery and situate it back outside of engine bay to move some weight back ?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

I think the stock battery and amp is more than adequate for most usage. These days L.E.D. lighting rules, and I run several sets on otherwise stock charging/battery systems. It will even be sufficient for occasional winch usage.
    I have a large custom machine in the building process. I was also concerned about the usage of a 5000lb winch so I added an auxillary battery in the rear, which more than doubled my battery capacity. The upside was the additional 60lb of battery mounted in an otherwise noseheavy machine, did a lot to equalize the load. Then I added a reserve fuel tank which helped even more. In terms of the 2nd battery I use an Optima.

I'm just in the process of fitting a much larger battery in the back of mine. I do have a transverse seat across the back so I've made a battery carrier under this. I'm using a caravan leisure battery which should power front and rear winches no problem. I do have an alternator conversion fitted though.
    As above, one of the reasons for this was to get weight to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogargo View Post
    Attachment 12919Attachment 12920Hi guys ,
    Just bought my first Argo, here in Ireland where they are very rare . Fair play on a great Forum ,it's been a wealth of information so far , and everyone seems so willing to help out .
    Just wondering how much elec power my kohler kt 17 generates . From what I read I think it's 15amps. Is this enough to supply my brake blower , some work lights / driving lights and 2000lb winch, which I was planning on fitting ?
    Any advice on battery size to run . Would it be a good idea to add a heavier battery and situate it back outside of engine bay to move some weight back ?
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Owned two of the IC,s they were a great machine,draw backs well cant quite remember if that was the one with the green Kohler if so might have the pinned axles to the sprockets it was a weak point the splined were the upgrade pretty sure that first introduced in the Magnum,the stock charging system was just adequate no more I had mounted a Conquest alternator to the trans mission and drove it off of the fan side pulley,only issue the stock rope pulley was a cast aluminum and you could not run alot of belt tension or the cast would break I had a machine shop fab me up a billet pulley problem solved,but you still had to run the tension a tad loose as the motor tends to flex away from the tranny on the fan side but worked great and I then upped the battery size in the original location with a larger batt box but kept a very low profile batt as not to interfere with the alternator belt.Cheers NCT

+ Reply to Thread