Fall 2014 ashtabula

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall 2014 ashtabula

Thanks to Bud and everyone that helps make this all possible. i have been racing at pine lake 38 years now, finaly got to race my first hare scramble.
    this year... so much funnnn.. however my body dose not agree... thanks to Matt O for bringing the belt drive max II for him to look at. he was impressed. hope to see all you finatic's again real soon.... Brigget there was no snow but it was great two stroke weather. we all miss you and the wipper. thanks again james gerber

I'll be the first to admit that I was a bit hesitant about the idea of a Hare Scramble race in the woods. Somehow, I was tapped for my talents as course expert (!!??) to help layout the track in the woods. (I'm actually confident that Tom and G asked me to help in an attempt to see where I thought I would crash, and to select those parts of the course for pure entertainment value).

I think we had a great turnout for the race, with 21 machines (two stroke racers, four stroke racers and trail machines) basically on the course all at once, with the start times between groups staggered at 1 minute intervals, I believe. It didn't matter, because all of the machines were on the trail lapping one another at the same time, regardless. At the start of the race, AirBud took off like a bullet in Alice followed by Lewie, me, and then I think it was either Kyle Boots or Jim Gerber (aka pinwheel ) Those are the only folks I saw during the first lap until Shanna snuck her way up into the pack around the second lap and started giving the boys trouble. I don't know how long the woods portion of the track was, but it was about half in the woods, and then we used one full loop of the regular track before heading back out into the woods. There were creek crossings, a short creek run, nice long even stretches in the woods, we made use of the step-up in the woods (lots of fun if you can carry a wheelie onto the second step) and then there were the dreaded whoops that I'm sure people were cussing us out for.

There were a few casualties during the race, and I was one of them. I was going great until about mid-way through lap four when Lewie (in first place) and I were really getting into it side by side on a downhill by the whoops. I had a bit too much adrenaline going and launched the D/Stock up out of a rutted mud hole and into a Beech tree which jammed a center axle in, throwing the chain. What a ton of fun. I'm not nearly as sore as putting 15 laps in during the regular race events, but mild spinal compression is still there. Geojem made a lap in the woods, but hit her noggin on her cage pretty hard when she misjudged the whoops. After attempting a simple post-bonk long division problem in her head and coming up with the incorrect answer of "watermelon", she decided she should head back to camp.

The regular track served as a great equalizer and leveled the playing field a bit, letting faster machines pass and putting into practice the set of wide-open skills we typically use, while the woods was a lot of shuffling around and lots of mud slinging, drifting around corners and trying not to swallow clumps of dirt through the full-face grins. (Jim Gerber must eat a ton of dirt; everytime I see him on the track, he's grinning ear to ear....)

Thanks to the Fischers and Little G and the rest of the group for coming out and making this possible. One of the best times I've had at Pine Lake. Let's do it again....

I'm glad we made (last minute decision) to witness this (now I know to plan to bring the RIM next fall)! The hare scramble antics (last min "checkered flag") and all were exciting and taking the tour of broken machines on the trail after... such carnage! Also was cool seeing the belt driven Max prototype and Mudd Ox springer. You never know what can happen here.

What a Great time!!! Thank you to everyone who made this event possible. The Hare scramble race was a blast, although Nick and Mike'y beat Mike and I we still had fun. We will have something special next year to fix their wagons!!! I am glad everyone enjoyed seeing a piece of Max history. It was my pleasure to bring the prototype back to life and see Howard Gerber drive it around. It's too bad he had to wait 44 years to see it. What might have been??? Thank You Joe for the opportunity to own the Gerber springer. I can hardly wait until next year to run it on the track again.

Matt
    http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/KaptainKrunch97/Signature_zps2b4e9265.jpg

Wow, what a great time! The hare scramble was great though not sure how the truck ended up 4th, after hitting the woods last, we stopped to drain the Rocky Mountain water valve on lap one an never seen anyone but Matt in the trail class again. The course was great except those dreaded whoops where I too rang my bell pretty loud, so once we hit the track I started yanking on the belts.

Thanks to Bud,Billy and g for all there efforts to have such a great event. Looking forward to next year.

A big thanks to everyone that makes these events possible what a great time! Score keeping on the hare scramble was a busy job, I'm glad the two stroke guys weren't any faster or it would have really been crazy trying to keep score, but a fun job anyway.

Thanks Matt for bringing the belt drive max it is one of the coolest things I have seen, and you are welcome for the springer I can't think of a better home for it.

It was great seeing everyone again and can't wait till next time. Now its time for me to get in the garage and start building one for next year:-)

What a fun weekend! The Streaker made the whole trip for sure, it's amazing how fast springers go around the track. It's no wonder how the one went over the guard rail. Aside from my 50 mph 180 on the backstretch, all was well. Good thing I didn't take 195 into the hare scramble or the belt would have sent me into the trees. Leading the trail rides were fun, no matter how lost I got us I'll have the video up this week sometime.

A huge thanks to all that make this event happen. A special thanks to all involved in running the Hare Scramble,what a blast! My carb plugged up 1/2 way through the last lap (Argos aren't supposed to break,lol) but I was able to limp back to camp in low gear. A good cleaning and we were back on the trails for the remainder of the weekend. Looking forward to the next one,I'm thinking one of my Attex's,Argos are not for racing either. They're tough as nails but beat the stuffing outta ya and I was running one and one half pounds of air in Rawhide lll's. Always nice to see everyone and the trail rides were great,as usual.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 09-16-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 09:41 PM.

What a great time, and to have it on my weekend. Thanks to all. To bad I can't have this each weekend.

+ Reply to Thread