Building a 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Redditch just south of birmingham

Andy
    Thought the way you spoke was local, I'm Brierley Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Thought the way you spoke was local, I'm Brierley Hill.
    yikes my accent is showing through is it lol

what toys have you got ? when l have something driving perhaps we should meet up l have access to some fields to play on

cheers Andy

yikes my accent is showing through is it lol

what toys have you got ? when l have something driving perhaps we should meet up l have access to some fields to play on

cheers Andy
    Funny how you recognise a way of speaking, even when it's written
    I'm all for a meet up mate, what have you got to play in at the moment (now you've ripped the axles off your sooty) We've got an Argo 8x8, a Disco based off roader of my sons that's about a few months away from finish (this is a serious motor), 2A that's just going back on the road (can't damage that though). Got my eye on another couple of items, have to wait and see.

Rod

In the photo of the drive shaft mockup, I certainly hope that bent pipe was just a lens effect!

When hammering away on the Chiclets to make a post, what I do is hit control+A every 30 seconds or so, followed by an immediate control+C. (Control key is usually marked CTRL or Ctrl) That copies all your typed text into the clipboard buffer. When all done, do it one last time, and if the site has logged you out and/or bombed in some other way when you hit the submit reply button, just re-log-in and get back to the post page again, then hit control+V to paste your text back in again.

Are you going to add a single brake lever such as from a dune buggy? They also make double lever types for individual braking. (Hydraulic) That way, if your differentials lose traction, pull a brake for the spinning side to move onwards again. That setup would also make for FAST turns!
    "Sand is pavement to a 6x6!"

hi

l think it was just the camera making the shaft look bent but l have drifted away from that layout a little now,
    l was thinking that a little suspension travel might be a good thing, having a few suzuki vitara's ( side kick over there ? ) about the place
    l was thinking they would make good doners for the drive shafts, wishbones hubs etc, as well as being the right stud patten for the wheels l already have, plus l can use the free wheeling hubs to drop drive to any wheel should l need to,
    l folded up some sheet steel after lazer cutting mounting holes for bearing blocks to form 2 main channels that will house the sprockets for the chain drive,
    not sure if l am going to power each side with a hydraulic motor so l can drive each side in different directions or if l am going to use a honda vtec engine and triptronic gearbox with each drive shaft driving a side each with a 3 to 1 reduction with fiddle brakes operated by individual master cylinders on levers like this

that's a substantial bearing housing there mate. ypu going to wishbone the top and put a coilover from side plates to the bottom wishbone?

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    that's a substantial bearing housing there mate. ypu going to wishbone the top and put a coilover from side plates to the bottom wishbone?
    Hi Rod

l was thinking of making my own upper wishbones and using a coil over shock as you suggest but as l have loads of vitara spares l was thinking of using the original strut and springs, clearly l will have to build into the tub somewhere for them to attach too,
    l am guessing the spring rate of the petrol vitara will be somewhere in the right region, if not l might try a rear spring up front to make it a bit softer ride, this is the cheap option as l dont have to buy anything but the down side is l am eating into space that would have been in the tub for passengers by having the strut top up there but l would have had to leave space for the wheels to turn so l guess l am not really loosing out to much

l may even cut the towers of some old chassis like this vitara one and weld those to my "chassis"

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    The Russians have unusual geography and terrain that they cope with. I've seen about a dozen purpose made machines, it just depends on what you want to build, the SUPACAT is a fine machine, but I would look to the LANDTAMER design due to simplicity, ruggedness, and durability.
    The mechanical drive Land Tamer 6x6 weighs in at 1600 pounds. 80 horses and about 80 pounds of torque, with the 3 speed auto Nissan transmission.

Hi Rod

l was thinking of making my own upper wishbones and using a coil over shock as you suggest but as l have loads of vitara spares l was thinking of using the original strut and springs, clearly l will have to build into the tub somewhere for them to attach too,
    l am guessing the spring rate of the petrol vitara will be somewhere in the right region, if not l might try a rear spring up front to make it a bit softer ride, this is the cheap option as l dont have to buy anything but the down side is l am eating into space that would have been in the tub for passengers by having the strut top up there but l would have had to leave space for the wheels to turn so l guess l am not really loosing out to much

l may even cut the towers of some old chassis like this vitara one and weld those to my "chassis"

If you're going to give it some stick over coney or ironbridge it would be an idea to use as much vitara as possible, quick and easy to fix then when you kill it (which you know you're going to ) Ironbridge desroys motors in the summer, especially the Farley quarry site, it's as hard as granite. Used to trial there and it's a motor killer.

This reminds me of my gaganator build. The strut towers definitely cut into the usable space, and that's where I ended up with my first build. I've been hammered by other commitments, but every now and then I think about doing some work on it.. (and then do a little computer design too :P). Your chain box is much the same as my "diff box" in my new design..

Using car parts will definitely keep the costs down.

+ Reply to Thread