Axle bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Axle bearings

Axle bearings

I need something to be cleared up about the bearings on my axle on my 92 magnum 8 by 8. All of my bearings have set screws and no locking collars and they all stay in place except my front one with the bearing extension. Ever since I took it apart it kept coming out of place while driving(pain in the a&$) I took it apart and found the outer bearing had the set screws loose and not tighned so it never came out yet and I jacked it up and tried pulling it out and it was solid.i don't want it to happen again becuase the chain comes off and eats the sprocket. So is there supposed to be locking collars or was it just my fault I forgot to tighne the outer bearing set screw? Also there is no place or hole in the axle on the end for the set screw to go into will the set screw still work the same without it? Is that just how the axle is made? Without holes for set Screw?

Anyone??.

If you failed to tighten the set screws then that is the likely cause of your axle walking out. I honestly don't know if there is a preferred method or type of bearing (eccentric collar vs set screws) for your machine, but not locking it at all is a problem. The fact that you couldn't pull it out by hand when jacked up is no surprise. A little bit of friction or small amount of binding somewhere can feel pretty solid when working only by hand. Driving the machine allows that binding or friction to come and go perhaps, allowing the axle to walk out on you.

I'm working on a hustler right now and all bearings lock by set screw, and none of the axles have any type of hole to receive the set screws. I have drilled a shallow "dimple" to receive one set screw just for a little extra security. If you will notice, the end of a set screw is not like the end of a bolt - it's made a little differently to allow it to bite the axle.

ok thanks so just by pulling on it by hand would anyone say that it will be tight or will it come out again for some other reason?

Pulling on it by hand is not a reliable test to determine if your axle is securely locked. You can't reproduce the same forces by hand that the machine experiences when in operation. I don't know how these machines are made with respect to the bearing, axle and sprocket setup, but regardless of how its made, the best thing you can do is make sure everything is locked tightly when you put it back together. For example, make sure your set screws don't have a bad thread or something else that would keep them from tightening against the axle. I assume you have two bearings per axle and they both should be locked (screws or a collar??). I don't know what kind of flanges your bearings ride in (cast iron heavy flanges or the light gauge "stamped" split flanges) but make sure the flange is not worn out allowing the whole bearing to walk back and forth. Use a thread locking fluid on the set screws to make sure they stay tight.

What about tire diameter? If this is a front or rear axle and the tire is a bit bigger, it perhaps is carrying an undue amount of stress when you turn? (probably a long shot though)

Also, as i sit here an think about it, is it possible there were snap rings that held the axle in place? Are all your other axles and bearings configured the same way as the troublesome one?

My Argo has just regular axles that are the same thickness throughout the whole axle. There are two bearings and both have two set screws! I all take it apart tmr and redue it or put it in again the right way to be sure

Order a set of split collars from mcmaster-carr and put 1 on each axle just inside the outer bearing. That will lock down the axle and will put the preasure of keeping the axles in back to the bearings.

McMaster-Carr

I will take some pics tmr of what is got

Hello,
    i have the same Problem with my 1984 Argocat.
    The axles Walking out while driving.
    Would it help to drill two holes into the axle on the Position of the two set screws of th bearing?
    Than only at the inner bearing or also at the bearing on the "Wheel side…"?
    Thanks from Germany.

Jens

+ Reply to Thread