Question for 23hp B&S users, real life answers!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Question for 23hp B&S users, real life answers!

Laird, thanks I understand the tech thing. Look forward to it if it happens.

Noel my conversation with B&S tech was they are designed to idle at 1750, end of conversation. When the motor overheats what happens?

I had a stripped bolt on the engine and had to remove the carby to repair. Then I noticed…..no gaskets on either side of carby. Will ring mechanic who cleaned and overhauled my engine.
    Would lack of gaskets cause higher idle or erratic idle?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I would have to say , in just my opinion and experience, most likely. With no gasket on the mating surfaces, there could very easy be a vacum leak.

i installed a 22 h.p. b and s vanguard in my max 2 . first time out on the trails at busco in 80 deg. temps . , after a while the engine would bog down and miss . sat awhile and it was good till it heated up again then same thing . finally added a fan to pull the heat out and that took care of it . it mostly happens in warm weather when i'm riding strong thru mud and up hills etc. probably should have bought a kholer ! but around the farm here it's fine without the fan . johnboy va.

Thanks John, I guess fuel vaporising causing air lock? Same, I’m on a farm with stock fan on Argo so all should be good.

Yes I expect vacuum leak but what symptom. Put homemade gasket in and idle has dropped a little but so has top end speed. Will now fiddle with adjustment tab.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    As I don't run my argo for much more than 1/2 hrs at a time (due to no where to actually ride) overheating is not that much of a concern. ......yet. So I have ordered a 7in automotive rad fan. I will mount that in the cooling intake duct. I have already moved the oil cooler to that area but bolted to the engine. I also don't have a recoil start because it didn't have one when I bought the engine. Engines with the recoil start will have a restricted area of air flow as oppossed to the open area like my engine. I may get a recoil and carry it with tools needed to mount it in case of starter or battery issues. Probably not till I should have. You know, woulda, shoulda, coulda. Really hope you get your carb issues sorted out. When I went to briggs school we were told 80% of small engine problems are fuel related with 90% carb issues. These small engines can be real hair pullers....as evidence of the old chrome dome.

one guy told me to mount fuel pump further away from the engine . i did but it still did'nt solve the problem . fans are good ! jb

I put in gaskets, all good but…..I tried some fiddling. Previously it would top out at 16mph. This is slow so I straightened out my governor/throttle linkage. It went to 23mph but idle went to 1400rpm. Bent it back to where I think it was before and now 1100rpm but max13mph. Suggestions to not effect idle but increase top speed?

+ Reply to Thread