Help With Argo Avenger Starting Problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help With Argo Avenger Starting Problem

Help With Argo Avenger Starting Problem

I have a 2009 750 EFI Argo Avenger. Two days ago it was working great. Didn’t use it yesterday, but when I tried to start it today … problems. If I turn the ignition to the first position I can hear the fuel pump cutting in, but when I turn the key to the start position … nothing! Absolutely nothing happens. The battery is completely charged up. The fuses I checked all appear good. Do you think it might be the ignition switch itself … or something else.

Last week we had some heavy rain followed immediately by some very cold weather. Much the same thing happened then, too. I turned the key and nothing happened … didn’t turn over, no clicks, nothing! I thought maybe the battery might have been down but I was pretty sure it wasn’t so I left the key in the first position for fifteen seconds or so and then turned it to start and it turned over right away and started. Worked fine all day. Stopping and starting again … no problem. Same thing up until today … stopping and starting again no problem. Today, I tried what I had done last week, but nothing.

I’d really appreciate any suggestions you can give me.

First I would check the battery and your ground. But to me it sounds like your starter. The same thing happened to my Suzuki King Quad. It would start fine then it wouldn't. I'm not sure where the starter is on those machines but if you have a 12 volt battery jumper then disconnect your starter and try turning over the starter with the jumper pack.

I'm sure you already checked but check batt term to make sure they are tight. Also check your neg connection ( ground ) for corrosion. Also check started selonoid.

There could be water or rust in you key switch, try som crc556 there. If your machine has a neutral safety switch you could try to bypass that.

Check all your fuses for corrosion as well.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

You could try using an automotive 12V test light. Check for power at the starter solenoid post when you turn the key. (One post always has power, other post has power when key switch is turned) If you have power when key is turned it could be starter/solenoid based issue. If you don’t have power it could be something in key switch.

Check your main power fuse. This exact problem was happening with my 05 avenger. By chance i was checking the fuses when it happened and when I wiggled the main power fuse, it was the problem. Taking a deeper look, I had (have) corrosion in the fuse holder. I cleaned it a bit and used the machine for another few years. But it would do the same thing occasionally. I should have put a new fuse box in as eventually it melted the fuse and holder last time I was out.

Bmc78, I just tried your suggestion with the test light. I didn’t have one so I made one out of an old 12 volt brake light bulb, soldered on two pieces of wire, and added two small alligator clips) I attached one clip to the positive terminal of the solenoid and the other clip to the negative. I didn’t have to turn the key at all … the light came on without me touching the key at all. Am I missing something here? I wouldn’t think that should happen. Is there short somewhere?
    Last edited by Zircon; 01-10-2022 at 12:03 PM.

Problem solved! Replaced the ignition switch and I hardly had to put the key in :-) … starts great! The local dealer didn’t have one and told me it would take about two weeks to get one in. :-( But I checked with another dealer about 85km away and he had three in stock. It was a blustery day, but I drove out, got it, and even though it was dark by the time I got back, I plugged it in, put the nut on, turned the key … and presto! Problem solved.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Glad to hear that you are back in business!

+ Reply to Thread