Sealant for fuel tank elbow fitting?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sealant for fuel tank elbow fitting?

Sealant for fuel tank elbow fitting?

Lots of board threads on how to clean plastic and metal fuel tanks, but nothing found on what sealant I should use when reinstalling the 90 degree elbow fitting on the tank where the fuel line connects. Web search engines advise against using any kind of PTFE tape, which I found wrapping the fitting upon removal.

I saw a few recommendations elsewhere online, and decided to buy Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealant Liquid #80019. Permatex documentation says it's gasoline-resistant. Will this stuff work to keep the fitting sealed in the plastic tank threads of my '94 Max II?

EDIT: asking any moderator to move this to Max II subforum, I accidentally posted under Argo
    Last edited by neveroddoreven; 01-26-2022 at 01:41 PM.

Would be worth a try. With pvc threads leave first two threads bare , sealant on test of threads. Wipe excess off when installed and form a cap around fitting

Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket No. 3 Sealant Liquid #80019 did work well for me on my Max II plastic fuel tank. After cleaning a couple pine needles and grains of sand from the tank interior, I stirred up the sealant, applied a semi-thin coating to inner and outer surfaces, let them set up for three minutes, and screwed the parts together. A small bead cap formed, nothing excessive. After two days I filled the tank with gas and it kept everything in fine. Later I'll make some kind of bracket to keep the fitting from turning when bumped by a foot or tugged by the fuel line itself.

+ Reply to Thread