ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Ok, haven't been around for awhile. Saw this thread, watched the vids (cool as usual - one of my favorite directors. )

What I couldn't find is the reason for the conversion - sort of a dump of the thought process. So, RD, what were your goals?

These bearings are definately larger. I am guessing from a comment above that longer bearing life is expected.

How did your water intrusion tests go? I am guessing that if this is the way Argo does the new machines then it probably went fine.
    Hi John,
    My goal was simple........LONGER LIFE. Some friends of mine are now running the HDI's at work, and they WORK their machines almost as hard as I do mine. The new HDI's are having issues in some areas, but "Outer Axle Bearing Life" has been exellent so far. Two of their machines have over 500hrs already, and no bearings have had to be replaced. I don't think I have EVER manage to get 500hrs on any of my Conquest Outer Bearings

At the end of the day, if this works as I hope, $100 per axle is a cheap fix. It doesn't take me long to eat up $100 worth of brngs, seals, axles, and housings.

Water Intrusion Tests have gone well so far

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Hi John,
    My goal was simple........LONGER LIFE.
    That's what I thought.

I think this is an awesome upgrade. I think I'll do mine piecemeal as the bearings need it. It seems an especially good thing for the front - imagine never doing those bearings ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I have noted that some older Conquests have different Bearing Extensions. ... Some Conquests bearing extensions have the inner bearing retainer built into the bearing extensions. ...
    RD
    Was looking through the parts manuals. It looks like machines before 6/02 have the integrated inner retainers.

I plan on getting an inner retainer from the HD and checking to see if there is a way to make this work - someday. If anyone gets a chance and find the answer here it would be awesome hear about it here.

(oh yeah, mine's a '98)

Can the HDI bearing be tracked back to a standard SKF, Timken, etc., part number? (e.g., HC206-20). The last two Vampire ASXs were mounted on the Avenger last week and I'm feeling some play in the outer bearings. It would be nice to source the bearings from a supplier if possible. Thanks.

Just bumping this topic to the top again. I have a couple of bearing with a little play and am going to upgrade. Hows the conversion working for you RD? By the way, thanks again for the vid.

Pophamrt1, I also have vampires on my avenger. I live them for situations between reg tires and where I would use tracks. How do you like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Was looking through the parts manuals. It looks like machines before 6/02 have the integrated inner retainers.

I plan on getting an inner retainer from the HD and checking to see if there is a way to make this work - someday. If anyone gets a chance and find the answer here it would be awesome hear about it here.

(oh yeah, mine's a '98)
    Hi John,
    I have NOT converted one of the older bearing extensions, but I have looked at trying one. I believe that it can be done. A good machinest could do it with ease. I THINK I could do it with a dremmel and a good carbide bit. It would be similar to enlarging the holes on the mid axles, but you would be shaving off aluminium instead of plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Pophamrt1 View Post
    Can the HDI bearing be tracked back to a standard SKF, Timken, etc., part number? (e.g., HC206-20). The last two Vampire ASXs were mounted on the Avenger last week and I'm feeling some play in the outer bearings. It would be nice to source the bearings from a supplier if possible. Thanks.
    I have one here:
    RHP T1035-1.1/4G=102 65

This is the only info on the bearing, and the price through ODG is (IIRC) about $18.00

Quote Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
    Just bumping this topic to the top again. I have a couple of bearing with a little play and am going to upgrade. Hows the conversion working for you RD? By the way, thanks again for the vid.

Pophamrt1, I also have vampires on my avenger. I live them for situations between reg tires and where I would use tracks. How do you like yours?
    Your welcome
    So far, so good.
    I should mention one thing. Just last week a friend called me to see if I had any bearings left over from my conversion. (Same friend that I helped out when he packed too much load and wore holes through his tub, rubbing on the back tires). He said one of his front bearings is on it's way out. I'm a little concerned about that, but have not followed up on it.
    It shouldn't be too much longer, and I will probably have my tracks on for the winter......That will be when the true TESTING starts

RD

Derek--The Vampires are great. But I have more Rubicon Trail than swamp at the moment (Northern California/Bay Area) so not much mud testing. Traction coming out of water on steep banks is unreal. Breaking a bead or puncturing the tires isn’t likely, if even possible.

But the added weight and rolling resistance opened a whole can of worms. Started me on the engine. I never liked the “disconnected” feel of the governor. With the bigger tires it felt down-right sluggish. Soooo... I machined a new throttle and choke assembly with direct motorcycle style carb linkage and replaced the entire governor assembly. Really woke the machine up. Crisp throttle response… can finally “blip” the throttle. Added valve spring shims to bring the seat pressure up a bit for a safe 5k rpm. It revs to about 4-4.5k but loses steam there. The cam/valve lift is so minimal it simply can’t breath up there. Working on that though .

Once the rain starts, then snow, I’ll take it to the Sierras, some flooded areas, etc. If anyone has any suggestions for flooded muddy areas in N. Ca I’m all ears.

RD--thanks for the numbers. I’m also really curious if the HDI bearings actually seal in the water. I really like the Conquest and non HDI Avenger seals. My outer bearings are also getting some play and the HDI ones may be the next upgrade.

Pophamrt, I hate to be the bearer of bad news there but man have I had trouble with my vampires. They just would not keep air in them if pressured down to less than 3 psi, above 5, no problem. I attribute part of it to the cold (I live in the NWT Canada, its a territory about 500 miles east of Alaska). In your climate you might not run into this at all.

Today I took one of the tires off and the bead is chewed up, I am assuming from spinning on the rim. So I put some vulcanizing A/B compound to fix it, if that doesn't work, its tube time for all 8 tires.

I might try that with the governer. I agree, having it is a pain when you need just a little more. Maybe a tach should go in there also.......

Derek

You might consider buying some of the bead lock rims that Matt sells. I have two friends who have ran their Mud bug and Vampire tires with out any air mounted on Matt,s rims and still not lost a bead.

Funny you should mention that. I bought them from Matt and they are on his rims. I took one off and found the bead on the tire had a tear in it, causing it to leak slowly. I believe the tear came from the local tire shop whom I had fix a couple puncture holes last year (ran right over a survey pin !?!?) I fixed it with Rema Tiptop A and B compound. I think that may solve the problem

Derek

+ Reply to Thread