ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

ARGO Conquest to HDI Bearing Conversion (Vids)

Well, I finally got this little project started. I think everything is going to work out good, but there is still some testing to do. I ran into a couple little issues, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Sorry about the length of the vids, it was hard to keep the time down on a project like this. I have only uploaded the first part so far, but PT-2 will be edited into this post tomorrow if possible.

I have to say here that I'm NOT SURE if this will work with ALL Conquests. I have noted that some older Conquests have different Bearing Extensions. Mine has the ones that require both the inner and outer bearing retainer when mounting Bearings in the bearing extensions. Some Conquests bearing extensions have the inner bearing retainer built into the bearing extensions. It may work, it may not. To find out what you have, look at your machines front/rear bearing extension assemblies. If you only see one gasket behind your outer bearing retainers, you have built in INNER bearing retainers. If you see 2 gaskets with a plate between, you have the same assemblies as mine.

PART-1 (Front/Rear Axle Conversion)

PART-2 (Mid Axle Conversion)

RD
    Last edited by Rock Doctor; 06-07-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Add second vid

Thank you for taking the time to document this for everyone. I will copy this to the how-to section when you get part two up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to document this for everyone. I will copy this to the how-to section when you get part two up.
    Ummm Where exactly is the "How To Section" ??. I know I've been there before, but can't seem to find it now. Is there a link to it in the Forum?

You can get to it at the very bottom of every page or on the home page on the left hand side. All of the how-to's, literature, brochures, etc. got moved to the front page of the site after the upgrade. Thanks again for posting these.

Talking Hdi conversion bearing

Hello RD, really great video's Thanks for taking the time to show us how it's done, seem to be very easy to do when we watch you.

Martwell

Nice work, excellent video. A couple of questions. On the standard Hdi installs at dealers, etc., do they use any silicone or other sealant around the bearing? And, if you were to fabricate an aluminum shim/adapter for the front/rear instead of stacking the cork, what thickness would you make it? 3/8"? Or 1/4" plus a gasket to allow compression, or some other combination. If I end up making some I'll send a set your way.

Quote Originally Posted by martwell View Post
    Hello RD, really great video's Thanks for taking the time to show us how it's done, seem to be very easy to do when we watch you.

Martwell
    Tks Martwell

Quote Originally Posted by Pophamrt1 View Post
    Nice work, excellent video. A couple of questions. On the standard Hdi installs at dealers, etc., do they use any silicone or other sealant around the bearing? And, if you were to fabricate an aluminum shim/adapter for the front/rear instead of stacking the cork, what thickness would you make it? 3/8"? Or 1/4" plus a gasket to allow compression, or some other combination. If I end up making some I'll send a set your way.
    No silicone or sealant of any kind that I know of, but I've never taken one apart yet. One of the HDI's at my buddies worksite has over 500hrs on it already and it hasn't had a bearing changed yet, on the flipside though it's sitting with a piled transmition right now.
    For the gasket, I would preferr to see a one piece gasket, or a similar setup to the old style (1/8" plate between 2 gaskets, could be easilly made out of old "Inner Cariers" from the old style assemblies). Any type of shim/adapter would need a gasket on either side, I think.

RD

Talking

No silicone or sealant of any kind that I know of, but I've never taken one apart yet. One of the HDI's at my buddies worksite has over 500hrs on it already and it hasn't had a bearing changed yet, on the flipside though it's sitting with a piled transmition right now.
    RD

Hello RD, did you know what appened to the New Admiral transmission.... It's the first time I heard one that failed... Here my buddy with a HDi is still fairely new, under 100hrs so everything is still gooing well....

Martwell

Quote Originally Posted by martwell View Post
    RD

Hello RD, did you know what appened to the New Admiral transmission.... It's the first time I heard one that failed... Here my buddy with a HDi is still fairely new, under 100hrs so everything is still gooing well....

Martwell
    I made a call, and was told that it was the Splines in one of the outputs of the Trans that failed. I have not looked close enough to one of the new Admirals to describe it better than that at this point. If I understand correctly, the Outputs on the new Admiral are "Female Splines" and the output shaft slides into the splined output at one end and is held with a bearing on the other end?? I was told that the female splines failed.......................Now, I don't know how accurate that is. I would have thought that with a design like that they would have made the female splines harder than the male, so that if SOMETHING had to fail it would be the easily replaced output shaft.
    If I hear anything else I will let you know.

Ok, haven't been around for awhile. Saw this thread, watched the vids (cool as usual - one of my favorite directors. )

What I couldn't find is the reason for the conversion - sort of a dump of the thought process. So, RD, what were your goals?

These bearings are definately larger. I am guessing from a comment above that longer bearing life is expected.

How did your water intrusion tests go? I am guessing that if this is the way Argo does the new machines then it probably went fine.

+ Reply to Thread