My new Argo Frontier

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Argo Frontier

Cool My new Argo Frontier

Hi All!

My wife and I just bought a 2007 Frontier 6x6! After about 3 months of waiting it finally arrived!!!
    But, on our first trip out to the dunes, we punctured the front left tire! LOL!
    Now we are considering tracks!
    Here are a couple pics...
    http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/show.../500/ppuser/51
    ---JIM---

Hi Jim

That's a nice looking Frontier. I'm in Phoenix. That makes us almost neighbors. What dunes were you riding at and how did you puncture your tire? I 've only been to the Imperial Sand Dunes @ Glamis & Gordon Wells. Maybe one of these days we can hook-up to do a little duneing. Maybe, we can get Techfx to go , too. He's in San Diego. Any plans to build a roll cage? Not a bad thing to have @ the Dunes.
    Whipper

Jim, congratulations on the new Argo! It looks mean in all black. I love it and this picture is awesome:

I split your post out to its own thread just so we could talk more about your Frontier and get your reaction to a few things. (It was fine where it was though.)

How was the first time out? Was there anything that surprised you or, at the other end of the spectrum, disappointed you? Like the amount of power, ease of steering, speed, traction, flotation on the sand, etc?

Also, those tires may be the culprit. It seems that people either have really bad luck with them by getting flats the first few times out like you or they never have any problems. Check out this thread if you haven't already: 24" Argo Frontier tires?

Finally, watch out if you go riding with that Whipper fellow. He's a bad influence.

Again, congratulations on the new ride.

I forgot the most important question of all: How did your wife like it?

Hi All!

Thanks for the compliments on the pics! My wife took them.. I copy/pasted them into an email and sent to her... as a little encouragement to keep it up!

We try to stay to the Las Vegas area mostly. The dunes in the picture are what I call the "training dunes". It's the Apex Dunes, just north of Las Vegas (near the speedway). I want to do Dumont Dunes soon

Funny thing is... My wife had more fun than ME! I was in task mode most of the time, being that it was the first time out I wanted to make sure that every noise, creek, and clank was legit. I did have a blast though! We were only out for about 1.5 hours when I felt the machine pulling to the left while driving. It still drove fine, just wierd... Come to find out, the tire had been punctured, probably by a sharp rock while turning. Power was VERY adequate. It climbed a hill that I wouldn't even try with my VehiCROSS! (funny... the safety video from Argo warns like crazy against hills and roll-overs... I had no problems, but will still be cautious). I don't plan on building a roll cage/bar... I don't want the extra weight, and don't plan on crazy situations. My wife and I drive like old folks. That's why we didn't get a Rhino... Don't need speed either. The Frontier is fast enough!
    Now.. about the tires.. other than the puncture, I'm AMAZED with the capabilities on sand! NO PROBLEMS on sand! It was more fun/easier to drive on the fresh sand than on the dirt! To fix the tire, I took it to a local ATV shop, who installed a tube! I'm going to use that one as a spare, because a new one is arriving tomorrow. I'm looking into tracks from Richard's Relics...
    Disappointments: Engine tuning... the carb mixture needs to be adjusted. Anyone have schematics on the carb? I need to know where the idle mixture and High Speed Mixture screws are... if there are such things on the newer motors...
    ---JIM---

The tires are really good on sand and pea gravel.. the last ride I was on, the frontier was the only one that wasn't a chore to steer or bury itself on inclines.

The carb.. take the air cleaner off, including the base. I imagine you'll see two screws with plastic limiter caps on the top of the carb. Those are idle mixture. The two barrel is one seperate barrel per cylinder. The high speed is a jet you'd have to pull the bowl and change or drill.. shouldn't have to do anything to it on a stock engine.

Jim, thanks for the in-depth report! I think Brandon said in another post that the Argos are notorious for needing idle adjustments from the factory but once you get it dialed in you should be good to go! Perhaps a temperature/elevation difference is causing the difference from the factory?

Anyway, I'm glad you and your wife had a blast. Tell her that we look forward to seeing more of her pictures of your other outings. Have fun!

Edit: By the way, I think you can now change the title under your name

Hi guys,

Questions:

1. PLASTIC Tracks.. anyone have them, or have used them in Desert/Rocky areas?
    Wondering if they get torn up...
    Worth the money for desert use?

2. Outboard motors... Argo recommends max of 9.9 hp. Is this due to weight? Thrust vs. structural integrity?
    I've heard of people putting 15 hp motors on...

Thanks!
    ---JIM---
    ---JIM---
    I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    (Mythbusters Fan )

Tracks in the sand - I wouldn't see a need for them if you are happy with the climbing performance of the tires. Everyone has reported great performance with the 24" Argo tires in sand. In fact they are the best tire for sand, snow, and water for an amphib. Tracks in my opinion would just rob some power, be more expense, and add potential repair time if it walked out of the track. Get the factory Argo track if you decide they will suit your riding conditions.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Very true... good words of wisdom.

Cool.. $1500 saved. Now I can concentrate on an Outboard!
    Anyone have knowledge about question 2 from my last post?

thanks!
    ---JIM---
    ---JIM---
    I reject your reality and substitute my own...
    (Mythbusters Fan )

+ Reply to Thread