Half Tracks or Full Tracks?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Half Tracks or Full Tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I believe there is/was a trax max that was a max with only the rear drive chains attached. Larry posted something about it a few days ago in a thread talking about "what other max's are there" or something to that nature. As far as the theory, I would imagine it would start with less weight = greater power to weight ratio. Additionally. I would imagine that having all 6 wheels engaged would provide no more power to the tracks than just having 2 wheels engaged as the tracks now connect the wheels. It would not surprise me if resistance decreased while turning also, but I cannot logically explain why so I may just be crazy too. Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about chimes in.
    Drew hit the nail right on the head with this one. I've heard that it was suggested by a cetain AATV manufacturer, that if someone runs tracks, that the front chains be disconnected. Just think of bulldozers, they're only 2 wheel drive in the tracks. The front wheels/rollers are not driven and they have all the power you could ever ask for. Also without the front wheels driving, I've been told you're less likely to walk the tires out of the tracks/over the track guides.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

i have 2 argos with full tracks and a 3 in the shop and i love them i would only run them with all chains conected because if you disconect the back chains and you put too much torque on the front tires all they will do is spine inside the tracks because its the front and back tires driving the tracks where they come up the rest is just grond presure and not much friction there have put lots of miles in heavy swamp and nasty bush chassing swamp donkeys and that is the only way ill run my tracks

i have been doing a lot of testing with tracks and i am lucky that 3 good buds all have argos one 6x6 no tracks <suck!!> one 8x8 with 6x6 tracks on it < and yes it has a heavily reinforced third wheel and frame is built up on the inside to handle this so its not so simple tp just throw on shorter tracks you will bend frame !> oh and it is more manuvrable then the 8x8 with tracks but it losses traction trying to come out of holes and somtimes that extra manuvrability makes it turn before it can climb out of water !, the 8x8 track is far better , hands down
    now the question of rear chains , do you remove them ? or not ? i have run both with the chains on the rear there is no wheel slip in the track at all but i do notice the chains do seem like they are under a bit more stress as the tops or the bottom will tighten up so hard to check tension somtimes depending the way its parked,
    with the rear chains off < and the tracks and tires properlly adjusted > oh and 18 inch rubber tracks for all these tests..i actually found the argo about 5% easyr to turn with the tires dry itll climb up anything, with the tires wet and slimy yes it can slip in the track but if your not doing hillclimbs or anything i can "drive around" that problem ,
    and its not like you cant bring the chains with you and put them on whenever you like , so for me iam leaving them off
    heres a link to some pics of us testing

Last edited by Mike; 07-27-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: embedded pictures

half tracks

I used to run half tracks & liked it better than full tracks,almost the same flotation in snow / muskeg but not takeing so much horsepower.That was on my old 96 avenger,tracked just front two tires on each side .Not as much strain when turning either.robin

+ Reply to Thread