what tires for swimming AND tracks? maybe an outboard?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: what tires for swimming AND tracks? maybe an outboard?

what tires for swimming AND tracks? maybe an outboard?

Argo is a 99 response everything original sizes.

my current set up is the original 22 x 10 x 8 runamucks and the paddles are very worn. They are pretty useless in muddy/soft terrain without tracks on. but since the tracks are so useless in water, I take them off for goose hunting season in order to swim. This causes a problem getting in and out of the water since these tires have no traction. What is a recommended compromise for decent tires in the offroading, yet can put tracks on them?? I would prefer to stay with my existing rims which are an 8 inch to save a few hundred dollars on rims.

Maybe the most beneficial is leave the tracks on all the time and get an outboard? however, its so nimble without the tracks on and I really rather drive it without tracks.

Thanks for any info,
    john

You don't really have many choices if you want to keep running the tracks too. If the runamucks weren't so worn they would do a little better in the mud. You could purchase new runamucks and just use them. Or you could just keep those tires and wheels for the tracks and purchase new tires and wheels for swimming. Or like you said, leave the tracks on and use an outboard or trolling motor in the water. I don't think there is a perfect solution and it really comes down to personal (and financial) choice. I'm not too much help but maybe someone else will have some better ideas.

tomorrow I'm looking at a long shaft 1977 4.5 hp Merc 2 stroke. Can anyone comment on if that motor is big enough? and is the long shaft a must when looking for a motor?

i have an 04 Argo Bigfoot with a 3 horse outboard. It does an OK job, but a little bigger would be better. mine is a short shaft but i made my own mount which hooks into the receiver on the Argo, so its a little lower and works OK. it is alot better than the tires. especially in current and windy conditions.

Argo makes a replacement 22x10x8 for the runamuk, it has deep lugs like the Frontier tire. That would be the best all in one tire and still fit tracks, great swimming and mud. Other option is keep current runamuks for tracks, and buy 8 frontier 24" tires and wheels. There is a tire or two that people have used besides the above, if you look through the forums you might find them. It's all about $, the argo tires are the best option and most $.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I did GBC Dirt Devils on my Cushman Truckster and for a 2wd open diff vehicle they were awesome in the mud, stream crossings etc. but I believe they were 22x11-8 so not sure they would work on your tracks. the are cheap to buy too, try bikebandit.com or tiresunlimited.com

+ Reply to Thread