argo 13" plastic track question.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: argo 13" plastic track question.

I was looking at one machine that had Studs in the tracks, the owner had bolted strips of UHMW Plastic under the fenders to protect the tub. Seemed to be working for him. The strips of plastic were lined up just to the side of where the studs would have rubbed under the tub fenders.

RD

im gonna try the studs.short ones should work just dandy.

I just ordered some vintage 4 prongged(sp?) ice cleats on ebay last night. 3/4" x 3/4" square....they should fit perfectly on the outside of my tracks. Paid $24 for 50. My local snowmobile shop wanted $2/piece for 1" carbide studs with the hardware. I'll post pics once I get them on. Thanks for the ideas veryone.

Very interested in how the studs work out. I've looked at "Kold Kutter ATV ICe Studs" (ebay search) and wondered. I like the chains across the tracks but don't really see the clearance. Maybe my idea of the chain to use is too beefy. Anyway, the sacrificial UHMW standoff is an awesome idea and it should last a good long time.

There are other vintage ice cleats on ebay right now that are 5/8 inch tall. Does anyone know the height of the Argo ice cleats? And how many are in the 8x8 kit?

The screw in studs are a very cheap experiment though. I see them in lengths: 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inch on ebay. Where would you put a screw like this on your tracks? (I have supertracks by the way)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Very interested in how the studs work out. I've looked at "Kold Kutter ATV ICe Studs" (ebay search) and wondered. I like the chains across the tracks but don't really see the clearance. Maybe my idea of the chain to use is too beefy. Anyway, the sacrificial UHMW standoff is an awesome idea and it should last a good long time.

There are other vintage ice cleats on ebay right now that are 5/8 inch tall. Does anyone know the height of the Argo ice cleats? And how many are in the 8x8 kit?

The screw in studs are a very cheap experiment though. I see them in lengths: 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inch on ebay. Where would you put a screw like this on your tracks? (I have supertracks by the way)
    I bought the 5/8" Kold Kutters...we'll see but for $24 I'm not out much $ if it doesn't work. Thought that I could add a washer or two under them if I needed more bite. I also thought about the screws but I'm not sure how well they would hold up in plastic.

I talked to a dealer yesterday trying to find out if the argo cleats would work but they won't. They come in 28, 36 and 44 count kits depending on your track. the super track, I believe, is the 36 count kit. I'm only guessing but I believe that they are roughly an inch high.

well i put on my used tracks that came twenty snowmobile studs in them "ten in each side". the suds are way too long and would hit the tub in the center. they are one inch woody studs. the lug height of the 13" plastic tracks are only half an inch. i think to get away with snowmobile studs you would need some 3/4" or a little shorter. i might get out the angle gringer and hack them down a bit. i foun these on ebay.Vintage unused Ice Klaw snowmobile track studs for Hard Ice from Kalamazoo. These are Vintage aftermarket traction products, sold as an accessory to fit all snowmobiles. 1" wide, 1-7/8" long" 5/8" high. These studs have Claw points on one side only. i might pick these up and give them a try if cutting down the ones i have dont work.
    Attached Images

I saw those and they look very similar to the Argo ice cleats. Considered them myself but the lug height of my tracks appears much closer to 3/4 inch. You might consider the Kold Kutter type of stud as their height is somewhere around .18 inch. (Actually some I saw can be had in .25 inch height, there are many choices I found out.)

Too much pointy metal in the ice will make turning very difficult and stress the machine. I think the shape of Kold Kutter studs can be aligned so the groove is perpendicular to the line of travel which should allow for easier turning then say a sharp pointy stud. I decided I too could afford to give these a shot and went to measure before I buy.

My tracks sections do not look like those advertised online. Mine are flat, like this:

they do not have the triangular center like this:

Anyway, so there are two styles of tracks. Ok, if I want to use something like the Kold Kutters I will need to screw them into the lugs on the tracks which are 3/16 inch wide and about 3/4 inch tall. I am thinking I could probably get away with the 1/2 inch Kold Kutters (#8 screw) if I either don't pilot or use a very small pilot. Any thoughts on this?

The center line of the supertracks appears to be just outside the tube. Barely. I was thinking of using the longitudinal lug just outside the centerline.

RD, what kind of tracks/studs and how/where did the guy have them installed? Did it look like they held up well?

damn that picture makes me mad.what a total waste of equipment.

The ones I was looking at were mounted through tha factory holes in a set of Supertracks. Looked OK to me, but they were short, only stuck up about 3/8". If I remember correctly, they had wedge shaped, carbide tips.

I have the 13 inch tracks. they do not have no traction at all. The surface are worn out.how can i improve traction. thinking of putting three quarter angle but it does not have any holes in the track. any body has any suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread