Is this a Brake Fluid issue?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Brake Fluid issue?

Quote Originally Posted by dgh110 View Post
    sounds like time for new brake fluid(using a higher dot# means better with heat and water) Darin
    Please be careful, you can't use a higher DOT than the system was designed for as I understand it. My parts dealer told me that I cannot just put in any DOT, when I was buying for my motorcycle, he said that it may react with the rubber and other items in the system, I assumed I shouldn't use 4 instead of 5, but he said 5 instead of 4 is bad too. Just my 2 cents of course, but now I think I will research this a bit more to find out why, unless anyone here knows ???

******************Correction**********************
    It appears that DOT5 is a silicone fluid and IS NOT compatible with DOT3 and 4, so if you had 3 or 4 in the system you would have to evacuate ALL of it first, and then it may still have absorbed into the rubber. Apparently using a higher DOT than the system is designed for can cause the whole brake system to fail instead of fade as a DOT3 system is not designed to run at the temps that DOT4 fluid will allow, etc...
    DOT2 was for brake drum systems and is now obsolete.
    MAN, it pays to read !
    Check this out for the nitty gritty on brake fluids http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html WOW! Who knew there was that much to it?
    Last edited by number1cas; 01-26-2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Did some research
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    With near every option Argo makes
    and a few they don't

DOT 5 is a silicone based brake fluid that can't be mixed with other types of brake fluid. Dot 3 and 4 are not silicone based. Mixing the two can melt seals and O-rings and bring about grief. My old Argo says to use Dot 5, so I went to Argo and got two rebuild kits,two new cover seals and all new pads. Flushed the system, rebuilt it and have had no issues with the brakes since I did them last spring.

I had the same issue last summer blah blah blah RD Have you seen bigfoot up there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    How high do the DOT rating's go? ODG is pretty specific, they say DOT5 is the one.
    Don't use silicone based fluid (DOT5.0) in anything other than racing purposed track vehicles, particularly those exposed to water. Silicone based brake fluid is not hydroscopic (water loving)
    and will not absorb/mix with water (part of the function of brake fluid) leading to potential water traps in lower portions of the brake circuits or at the bottom of cylinder bores, promoting rust or potential plugged circuits in freezing weather. Silicone fluid is also slight compressible, which may yield a slightly mushy application of the brakes (can't use it in ABS applications). It does have a higher boiling point than DOT 3.0 or 4.0 but the real world tradeoffs are not worth using it in most vehicles.

The highest boiling point that you can use would be DOT 5.1, should you need the extra margin (I use it on my sport bikes), although, most vehicle brake systems run just fine on DOT 3.0 or 4.0 as long as service life or exposure to moisture is not exceeded. Your brake circuit might be vented to atmospheric air and if subject to moisture in a 6X6 that regularly runs in water or muddy environment might have to be completely flushed every season or two.

OOPS!
    Looks like the silicone fluid was addressed on the 2nd page of the thread....didn't read it through before answering....., my bad.

Almost looks like a DOT 5.0 dog pile!

In all honesty, I don't think I will be switching the type of Brake Fluid I use. It's always been DOT5 for me with Conquests, and I've never had any issues with it. My original thought was that it might be contaminated, not that I think another type was needed in this application. Although, I have now learned more than I ever wanted to know about Brake Fluid

Now, in an effort to get us all back on track here:
    NO, I have not yet seen Bigfoot up here yet
    But I am keeping my eyes open

RD

He looks like this. I snapped this picture in northern Maine last summer.
    Attached Images

We've had several Bigfoot sightings here on the east coast:

Quote Originally Posted by vader8x8 View Post
    RD Have you seen bigfoot up there yet?
    The reason this makes me laugh is becouse of a story yrs ago, run in some "National Enquirer type" magazine. It stated that there is a "Secret" laboratory hidden under the hospitol in my hometown. It was quite interesting, and told all about the testing being performed on the captured Bigfoot that they had down there.

RD I've seen a lot of your videos. If you haven't run into him, he doesn't exist. Unless he's running a camo HDI with Adair tracks and snow extensions.

+ Reply to Thread