What Lubricant for Argo Chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What Lubricant for Argo Chain

If you have a Lowes hardware store nearby, I would suggest you pick up a can or two of Dupont Teflon multi use chain protectant. I use it on all my chain drive bikes as well as my Max IV.
    Here is a write up on it:DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

BTW, it stays put on the chain and it will not mess up your tub.

Lubricant

Hi All,
    The dealer I bought my argo from said not to use anthing but Castrol Chain Lub. Comes in a spray can. He said not to put any grease type product on the chains that may dry. This can wear out chains and sprockts. Another option for you.

My 2 cents....
    Anything that is NOT a wax, I think WD40 is better than the kinds that dry to a waxy coating, you need to get the oil into the chain rollers, it may fling off a bit but just clean the tub once in a while. I have had awesome luck with "Polaris chain lube" from any Polaris atv dealer, stuff is wicked slippery. You can use it for almost anything around the house and yard too. I even used it for my handgun collection with great results. It stays liquid and does not go waxy.
    09' ARGO Avenger 750 EFI
    With near every option Argo makes
    and a few they don't

I use napa chain lube and it works very well.

I tried to purchase the Argo lubricant from the dealer in Atlantic Canada when I first bought my Avenger. He told me they didn't stock it ... didn't use it. Used this instead: Castrol Chainlube - Walmart, Winnipeg, MB, Canada ... that's just a link to show you a photo of the can ... first one I could find when I did a Google search... [CASTROL CHAIN LUBE, you can buy it at Wal-Mart, Home Hardware, etc] I thought it pretty strange, especially since I wanted the Argo stuff, but, what's a guy to do if the main Argo dealer himself doesn't stock it?

zircon, the castrol lube you linked to from Walmart is also available from canadian tire, etc... it is also the same chain lube that Argo sells.... There is no magic argo lube, it is the castrol... I do not order mine from Argo, I source it from Crappy tire or walmart......

I use a mixture of synthetic grease and synthetic gear oil. I mix them with a paint mixer in a drill and apply twice a year with a brush till they are well soaked. I want it to get over all the shafts and bearings in the bottom of the tub, and the bottom of the tub, cause if it doesn't you will have bearings seized to the shafts and rust in the tub and frame. I'd sooner put up with a little oil & grease.

Slim

Where can I purchase millcot K? An on-line source is preferred.

Since Esso Millkot oil is not readily available in Alaska, I found a suitable product that paints nicely on the chains, a Chevron oil called Aries 220 that is used in the mining industry to coat open chains and sprokets as well as drilling tools. I painted it heavily on the 2 rear chains before the last outing, just checked and had no splash on the top pan, the normal runoff in the bottom pan, and plenty of lube left on the chains. So looks like it sticks just fine.
    https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/...&docFormat=PDF

Esso product code for 20 L (5 Gal) Milcot 220 is 104769

+ Reply to Thread