Changing speed with sprockets?? Possible??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Changing speed with sprockets?? Possible??

eh thanks alot there Jersey, i'll do some checking. i've always thought that they were governed too low, if you look up the power band of a 18 hp briggs you'll see the powerband is from 2200 rpm to about 4200 rpm , they cut off 65% of the potential horse power by governing it to max out at 2800 to 3200, you mentioned that it needs new springs ,do you know what rpm the valves start floating ?
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Robinhood, I counted teeth on my sprockets this morning, and you were right, the driven do have 30 teeth. The t-20 sprockets have 15.

Jersey, I am using a Kohler CH25 on my machine, and will not be using the stock exhaust, just straight pipes.(with rain caps) Everything else will be stock. What tach do you recommend? Is the Sunpro tach that I can get at Autozone good enough?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

ok, drop 4 teeth and put on the larger tires and you should get 29.58 mph ( presuming your motor will maintain its original maximum rpm)
    figure out how to adjust your governor 500 rpm more and you'll have aprox. 33.31 mph, (this also presumes your back will be able to take those speeds) being 16 well you can probably take it LOL (not these old bones)
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    (this also presumes your back will be able to take those speeds) being 16 well you can probably take it LOL (not these old bones)
    LOL, that speed is mostly just for the gravel roads around here. Those tall sidewall Argo tires ought to help cushion it a little. 33 mph is right at where I want it, I'll do all those mods and see how it turns out.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

You want an inductive tach like an Equus 6068 It gets the signal off the plug wire. Briggs start to float their valves around 4500 rpm depending on the age of the engine. Some rev kits will have springs some will have shims for the existing springs. They will also have heavier alum push rods or some people replace the aluminum push rod with the steel push rod

The tach Jersey mentioned is a pretty good tach i have one on the Crush.

Equus+6068 - JEGS High Performance

thats a nice tach and cheap too, i just ordered two , thanks for the link and info, more toys

Back out of the ashes for a another look. I've been trying to research this topic in the hopes 30-35ish mph was possible with the Argos and still have Lo range for the nasty stuff. We run a lot of smooth gravel roads and such and could honestly benefit from the speed increase to cover the smooth ground.

But I sure wanted to retain low end for the slow tedious terrain. Will low range accommodate this? I'm not opposed to engine mods what so ever.

Thanks for the info in this thread
    Thanks
    Ty Turner

870-818-1315
    tyturnersoffroad@yahoo.com

JESUS ROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by TURNEROFFROAD View Post
    Back out of the ashes for a another look. I've been trying to research this topic in the hopes 30-35ish mph was possible with the Argos and still have Lo range for the nasty stuff. We run a lot of smooth gravel roads and such and could honestly benefit from the speed increase to cover the smooth ground.

But I sure wanted to retain low end for the slow tedious terrain. Will low range accommodate this? I'm not opposed to engine mods what so ever.

Thanks for the info in this thread
    This thread mainly talks about engine modifications and I think that's where you should start. You would retain low end torque and gain the speed you are looking for. Going from a governed 3600 RPM to 5000RPM will increase your top speed 38%. So, if your top speed was 20, it would now be 28.

+ Reply to Thread