Changing speed with sprockets?? Possible??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing speed with sprockets?? Possible??

Changing speed with sprockets?? Possible??

Can I increase the speed (+5 mph or so) of my Argo by changing the size of the idler sprockets on my transmission? (Would I need to change the chain links? add some? or not? This is a 1987 IC 8X8 with high and low range transmission.

Yes there is probably room to do that, you would need a shorter chain. There are some calculations on line to determine the pitch and distance for the sprocket pitches. you don't want to chose a sprocket with a tooth count that requires a half link to work. you can also change gears in the trans. Check with ODG on which series trans you have. It should be stamped on the top of the trans. Check that the engine revs to the proper RPM and your clutch is working properly. the engine may also bog when you turn at the higher speed with a different gear ratio. More power is also good.

Nice hardtop

Also remember that as you change your sprockets to increase speed, you will also DECREASE torque.
    It's all just nuts and bolts.

Can this be done on a t-20 machine too? I would like to give my Hustler a speed boost, and have been wondering what the best way to do it would be.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Thanks for the info. I picked it up last November. I have been working on it (when i can) since... It may need a new belt. The hardtop is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Can this be done on a t-20 machine too? I would like to give my Hustler a speed boost, and have been wondering what the best way to do it would be.
    stonewall, yes you could weld bigger sprokets on the T20 (drive side) but it is easier to put a smaller sprokets on the driven side, go 2 teeth smaller increments at a time so you don't have to fiddle with half links ( i have done it to my Max IV)
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    it is easier to put a smaller sprokets on the driven side, go 2 teeth smaller increments at a time so you don't have to fiddle with half links
    My driven sprockets are welded onto a sleeve that bolts on the axle, so they would be expensive to experiment with. I would like to get around 25-30 mph. I have a 25hp Kohler, and I plan on putting the 24" Argo tires on it. But I don't want to over do it and not have enough torque. What ratio do you have on your Max, and how fast does it go?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

yup that is exactly what i'm talkin about ,you take those sleeves and have the driven sprokets machined off and then weld the new sproket on in its place,(it is MUCH easier to do that then it is to remove the trani ,then rip the trani apart to get at the sproket shafts so that you can machine them off and weld new ones on , a far more expensive experiment) the new sprokets to fit your sleeve is about $6 each at your local brg store, to have the old ones cut off and the new ones welded on probly another $30
    PS how many teeth on the sproket on the sleeve ? What size tires do you have on it right now ? and what is your top speed right now ?
    i can do some calculations to achieve your desired speed
    I removed 2 teeth and gained about 4 mph for a total speed of 25 mph with 21" tires and still retain enough bottom end power
    Last edited by Robinhood02; 04-08-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

The best bang for the buck is to modify the engine to rev higher You will see a significant ground speed difference by getting the engine to rev to 5000 rpm. V twin Briggs and Kohlers can safely rev to 5000 rpm with removed governors, modified valve springs and cut keys on the flywheel to advance the timing. The stock carbs and exhaust wont let them rev much higher under load. This also gives you instant throttle response and better mid-range torque.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    The best bang for the buck is to modify the engine to rev higher You will see a significant ground speed difference by getting the engine to rev to 5000 rpm. V twin Briggs and Kohlers can safely rev to 5000 rpm with removed governors, modified valve springs and cut keys on the flywheel to advance the timing. The stock carbs and exhaust wont let them rev much higher under load. This also gives you instant throttle response and better mid-range torque.
    but dont you sacrafice alot of reliability and longevity by doing those mods ?? those motors normaly rev about 2800 to 3200 rpm , boosting that to 5000 cant possibly be good for it in the long term , is it ?? and removing the governor doesn't that mean it could be over reved ? it's not like we have another gear to grab in these things to prevent that ?

+ Reply to Thread