BigFoot hill climbing versus big ATV (SPortsman 700 or the like)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BigFoot hill climbing versus big ATV (SPortsman 700 or the like)

wow, all i can say is argo recommends going backwards down steep hills. the video i got with my 6x6 goes through different driving conditions and that stood out in my little mind. i also recall someone here mentioning that careful use of the brakes going down hill due to foward momentum or you could somersault foward. going up doesn't concern me at all but descending does. what i have noticed while operating my bigfoot is that i take it slow and controlled, not crawling but not in a hurry and finding i need to jam on the brakes and getting into that somersault condition. i haven't descended backwards yet due to being careful and cautious. this is the other big difference between aatv's and atv's, sitting firm on the seat compared to being able to stand and shift my weight as on my yamaha raptor. i'm probably not adding much to this discussion except this there is a real learning curve to these machines and caution is key till you learn the machines limits like anything and practice makes perfect. i will say this though, i have not felt my bigfoot wanting to tip foward due to braking on a descent yet. i also feel argo's recommendation of descending backwards is wise till comfortable, better safe than sorry. i would also argue from experience that due to weight distribution, motor position, climbing out of the water on muddy banks can be eased by backing out. i got stuck once trying to climb out foward and just dug the machine in going foward. no winch at the time and i was in a jam. it was by luck that my nephew who wasn't good with the laterals and driving backed it out and it climbed right out, lesson learned. motor placement , weight distribution, is the the big thing in performance between the max and argo. both equally capable machines but both have a slightly different learning curve as a result of motor placement. no argument here as for who is better, i like both, more a comment on driver education to his machine and respecting it and the condition using it in. as a flight instructor i tell my students the same thing and it's part of the first lesson, respect the machine it can hurt you in a heart beat. learn it's capabilities and it's quite a tool and so much fun. long winded but i hope you get what i'm trying to say.

One thing that I am not sure if it is a factor but another thought... For the carburetor powerred machines would be the potential lack of fuel delivery to the engine if ascending a steep incline.. The fuel injected machines would have no issues that way but I'd hate to be heading up or down a hill and lose power all of a sudden..

Keeping the engine on the uphill side of the climb/decent makes alot of sense as your weight would help keep you more balanced.. I would guess anyways...

Argos need to be "driven" downhill.One must keep enough throttle on to keep the primary clutch engaged,this "engine braking" in conjunction with braking on the lats will achieve a nice controlled decent. if the machine is allowed to "freewheel" downhill using only the brakes(lats) for control it,in my opinion,as Lance put it, will scare the crap out of you at minimum.

Joe.

Buy an Argo 8x8, in my opinion the best value is the frontier 650 8x8. Great all around machine, get it with the low geared transmission. There are still a lot of good values for this machine. You should be able to do what ever you need with a 8x8 frontier including a very good swim speed!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    Argos need to be "driven" downhill.One must keep enough throttle on to keep the primary clutch engaged,this "engine braking" in conjunction with braking on the lats will achieve a nice controlled decent. if the machine is allowed to "freewheel" downhill using only the brakes(lats) for control it,in my opinion,as Lance put it, will scare the crap out of you at minimum.

Joe.
    Definately a good tip! Also riding the brakes all the way down (and not using the engine braking) could cause them to over heat.. Even with the fan blowing on them....

hi there I am a fairly new driver to the aatv world but I have a lot of off road experience and it does not matter what machine you have there are so many factors when driving off road. The calculations everyone is talking about is just a base line up or down a hill with perfect terrain.but out there in the bush there are factors to consider, soil conditions, wet or dry.
    what I am getting at is in my experience you get the machine you want and you learn the perameters of it. You can't or shouldn't just jump in and go for an extreme trip, start with small hills and shallow mud and build yourself up to the extreme stuff. I for one would not take passengers on extreme rides unless I really new my machine and its capabilities.

I have an 04 Argo Bigfoot and I have to say it's an animal. When I first got it I had a few issuses do to my inexperinse. Now I can climb almost anything. The stability is very impressive. If you know how to drive it well you would be very happy! They are the most stabile atv I have ever drove. I love my and would not trade it for any other atv. I think you would be very happy with it. You should find someone with a 6x6 to give you a ride and show you what it's all about. Happy shopping!

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    I bet most people that flip an atv or aatv are showing off, being drunk and or stupid, or are driving beyond their capabiltes. !
    Most of the time, with my friends, this starts with someone yelling "Hold my beer and watch this"

Hills can be tricky, the best advice is to practice untill you feel comfortable on shorter hills.
    A number of times I've had to back up steep hills, as my load in the back was much heavier than the front of the machine. That can be tricky, and a little creapy, especially when you cant see over the load in the back of the machine
    RD

my bigfoot has a built in "to steep to climb" sputter sensor built into the carb, so.... i cant even climb a steep hill if i want to! can be very frusterating when ure just cresting the steep part off a hill and then it all goes south

Good ness, i think it is time to freshen up the carb and fuel pump! If it is doing it up hill, very soon it will be doing it under heavy load and then on flat ground...... GRRRRR

+ Reply to Thread