BigFoot hill climbing versus big ATV (SPortsman 700 or the like)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BigFoot hill climbing versus big ATV (SPortsman 700 or the like)

That is why a lot of members have added an auxiliary fuel pump. Before ascending a steep incline, they flip the fuel pump on and that eliminates the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That is why a lot of members have added an auxiliary fuel pump. Before ascending a steep incline, they flip the fuel pump on and that eliminates the issue.
    I dont know, i have yet to see a convincing argument that an electric fuel pump is a good idea. I will take some convincing, but it seems like they burn down more AATVS than the ones they help... Seems too risky for me. I think that the fact that most electric fuel pumps can over power the float, and blow fuel into the air cleaner and then ignite it due to a back fire seems really scarie to me. I hope im misinformed....

Who do you know that has burned down their Argo with an auxiliary fuel pump? It is installed with a toggle switch so that you can only run it when needed.

Anyone with many hours in an AATV has probably driven it up or down some steep stuff. Driving downhill is a learned experience and and should be "driven" not coasting. Ive driven up hills that didnt look that bad and planted the winch on the MAX IV in the dirt coming down while the tires were still on the hill, hit the throttle and drove away. Another point when doing some engine research most manufactures rate the angle of operation at between 25 to 35 degrees,intermittent use with full oil level. Boy have I been way past that! Im a firm believer in a roll bar-cage with all these vehicles,upside down on top of you could be real bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    I dont know, i have yet to see a convincing argument that an electric fuel pump is a good idea. I will take some convincing, but it seems like they burn down more AATVS than the ones they help... Seems too risky for me. I think that the fact that most electric fuel pumps can over power the float, and blow fuel into the air cleaner and then ignite it due to a back fire seems really scarie to me. I hope im misinformed....
    spookum, I will have to say that having the proper fuel supply on a hill, when you need it most, far outweighs any problems that may be caused by an electric pump. All the conquests are equipped with electric pumps and I did add one to my magnum that was the primary pump. They must be a low pressure pump though, 3 - 3.5 psi I believe. Flooding the carb with excess pressure is a hazard to be sure as you state. One could add an oil pressure switch that would cut the pump off if the engine stalls or in the event of a rollover for added safety. Just my 2 cents and you are correct to be on the safe side, although on occasion i have been tempted to remove the fuel cap and add a match. Counting to ten and re-assuring tones from my brother prevented any incidents of spontaneous argo combustion on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidroy View Post
    spookum, I will have to say that having the proper fuel supply on a hill, when you need it most, far outweighs any problems that may be caused by an electric pump. All the conquests are equipped with electric pumps and I did add one to my magnum that was the primary pump. They must be a low pressure pump though, 3 - 3.5 psi I believe. Flooding the carb with excess pressure is a hazard to be sure as you state. One could add an oil pressure switch that would cut the pump off if the engine stalls or in the event of a rollover for added safety. Just my 2 cents and you are correct to be on the safe side, although on occasion i have been tempted to remove the fuel cap and add a match. Counting to ten and re-assuring tones from my brother prevented any incidents of spontaneous argo combustion on the trail.

you can get a manually adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a guage so you could actually dial the pressure in to what you need.

check out this link
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-J...#ht_3259wt_905
    Last edited by azz7772; 05-05-2012 at 05:53 PM.

My 04 Bigfoot has climbed to it's full potential. When it starts to cut out I pull out the choke and keep it running until I level out. But that's just how I roll.

I have been running a solid state electric fuel pump that has spent half its life submerged for 7 years now. orig I had it in line with the factory but eliminated the factory pump. My Bigfoot never ran so good. I have yet to hear of some one burning their aatv down from a faulty pump, guess if they didn't fuse it when they installed it. The only thing I can say is that I want to put another factory pump on so I don't have to rely on the battery in a worse case scenario. I had nothing but issues with hard grades, but once I went electric my problems went away. just make sure you run a line to a bottle or back tot he tank from the carb overflow in case you forget to turn the pump off

+ Reply to Thread