1991 Argo magnum 8x8?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1991 Argo magnum 8x8?

Quote Originally Posted by jmart045 View Post
    This one only has 220 hours but had it running yesterday but wouldn't just start backfiring out the exhaust any ideal?
    Not sure if it applies but I have had a couple of magnums and put a ton of hours on them,the first one did a backfire thing on start up at around six hundred hours,but did not fail to start at least for awhile then boom no start,ended up being a ignition coil they are like a lawnmower sits outside of the flywheel under the fan housing which is tough to get off in the machine but not impossible,after my first experience with this whenever it started backfiring on start up I would replace the coil asap and for me it was 500 to 800 hours depending on how much summertime use it got I think heat played a huge part,like I said not sure if this is your issue but sooner or later you will run into it.N.C.T

On the subject of firing up a Magnum, its not a good move to keep on turning the starter motor over, they dont appreciate it (as stated in the Magnun manaual) and if the motor does fail, it is a hell of a job to install a new one, I had to lift the engine out to get at it, though I am told it is possible to locate the starters retaining bolts if you are very, very nimble fingered.

Quote Originally Posted by glenhinnisdal View Post
    On the subject of firing up a Magnum, its not a good move to keep on turning the starter motor over, they dont appreciate it (as stated in the Magnun manaual) and if the motor does fail, it is a hell of a job to install a new one, I had to lift the engine out to get at it, though I am told it is possible to locate the starters retaining bolts if you are very, very nimble fingered.
    LOL boy are you right about that,some years ago,the last day of a trip at the cottage I went to start my 8 Magnum and the starter just ground away like the bendix had blew,I had to leave the machine there and come home,while at home I bought a new starter motor that was a eye opener quite a few bucks,a couple of weeks passed till I was able to get back up and I have no shop to work in and it was spring( Big Bug Season) and proceeded to change it out what a h*** of a job,finally after two days of frustration I got it in.Turned out one of the thru bolts that hold the starter together there are two of them had snapped they are just small and also hold the starter on the engine.Not a fun job at all!!!!!!! N.C.T
    Last edited by North Country Tough; 12-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.

NCT glad to hear someone else has experienced the dreaded dead starter, however I think it doesnt quite beat the shear pins on an old argo abandoning ship at 7 at night, way out on the hill with a full load of hinds in the back and a paying guest to paciify; god protect me from shearpins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how hard is it to change the starter with the argo fully assembled?

+ Reply to Thread