Conquest 8x8 re-build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Conquest 8x8 re-build

Well it doesn't sound great, what I do hear is driven clutch bushing bad, and either a spacer washer behind clutch is either missing or you need to add 1 more.
    You can hear the clutch face wobbling (growl), also at one point I heard the clutch contact the master cylinder or the drive disk bolt ( can't remember what they hit).

Try removing the driven clutch, count how many washers/spacers are behind it on trans. input shaft. Next hold the clutch like a steering wheel at 3 and 9 and alternately squeeze it, if you feel play the bushing needs replacing. Wobble of movable face may also be noticeable in machine while running in neutral at mid to high rpm's and any contact will be apparent for certain at full rpm if that's what I heard.

Also thought I heard something else but may have been the afore mentioned combo.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Thanks a lot for that Jim = hard to know what's going on when you have never driven one before!

Yes when I spin up the engine/tranny with no load - the driven clutch definitely makes that 'growling' noise as you describe.

I will pull the driven clutch and check all the things you said. (I've watched RD's video)

I also plan to polish/clean the face with a scotch bright - read to do that somewhere on here.

Ok - so i'm ordering parts to fix the driven clutch - without actually inspecting it
    (the argo is at my brothers place)

for a general service - what should I replace?

I have the bronze bushing, the spring, and 2 of each of thin & thick spacers

should I also order the cam Shoes?

ok - so here are my cam shoes - do they need replacing?

cam_shoes.jpg

OK so lots more done on this spare time Vampire.

Made all new seat pans:

seat_pans.jpg

Got 8 new tyres fitted (yes they won't swim, but cost $57 each!)

tyres.jpg

and anyway - I also managed to score this for free:
    outboard.jpg

I also made a Bilge pump bracket
    pump_mount.jpg

I have also removed the driven clutch, and replaced the shoes. I also got my mechanic to press in a new bushing using his shop bearing press.

He managed to press is it WITHOUT removing the roll pin and &*$@'d the brand new part. NOT HAPPY!!!

anyway - new bush is on order, which is the only thing stopping this from moving at the moment. (want to test out the new tyres)

I changed the tranny oil, which was as thick as honey, and just filthy.

Not far to go now... finish the seats, service the engine, rinse out the tub, build an outboard bracket(maybe), lube the chains, add a couple of grease nipples...
    nothing a day off from work wouldn't solve

last thing - can anyone tell me what has been broken off the tranny in this pic?

broken_tranny_part.jpg

Didn't have to look at pic but did, it's the belt guard. Easy to make and will not affect performance.

Hopefully the bushing fixes it (that sucks) and oil change helps. If it still is noisy (not just screeching) come back. Good luck.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

OK - So I got the driven clutch back together.

There was still a little play in the bush, probably about 2mm movement when I rocked the wheel back an forth on the shaft.
    - So I guess I need to get a new shaft for the driven clutch.

The other thing is - not sure if this is normal or not - but it seems to take a LOT of throttle to get the thing to turn - I was about a 1/4" off full throttle trying to get it to turn on the driveway, and a little bit less on the grass.
    The tyres are brand new though, and I had them at 20psi ( I know I know - should be 4psi)
    - but I can't imagine the tyres being a lower pressure would have made the thing turn any easier!

The tranny still doesn't sound great - reverse is really noisey.

and it's hard-ish to shift between gears.

again - not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or not.

The drive belt seems to be over to one side on the driven clutch, not sure if it needs some more shims or not.

I just don't want to admit that the tranny needs re-building.

G'day. How are you coming along with it?

I think I'm just going to use it as is for a little while.

I don't have the luxury of time to pull the tranny and re-build it.

No sure if the input shaft can be -re-machined or anything - just haven't investigated it any further.

All i am waiting on is to re-do the seat foam and covers - then it's off to the farm for this little beast... it has weeds to spray!

Fair enough. I'm just about to pick up my project so been reading your mammoth rebuild. Am interested in how those tyres work out as I just got a price and the argo ones are not cheap here down under.plus delivery from the planet mars by the price of it!

+ Reply to Thread