Conquest 8x8 re-build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Conquest 8x8 re-build

Quote Originally Posted by mitchamus View Post
    well probably a bit much.... but here in Oz - Argo's are thin on the ground, and s/h prices are ridiculous.
    for example - I saw an 80's 8x8 sell for over $5,000 on eBay a while back.

If I had the money, I would import containers of s/h Argo's from the US and re-sell them here...

but anyway... I bought this to use on my farm, and I'll need to know how to troubleshoot it if something goes wrong... so it's all good...

plus... fixing stuff is fun

LOL, It's not an impossible project by any means. Mostly it's cleanup and reassemble, from what I can see ( not that I've seen all that much of it). Chains, bearings and seals if your lucky.
    I never picked up on the OZ thing, haha, but if you ever need a hand, and if I can help from over here in Western Canada, just fire me a pm.
    Does it have single 60 chains on the back 2 axles?

RD

"plus... fixing stuff is fun " I like yer thinking. I'm sure it will be fun going through it all and learning how to build it from "scratch" - there's no better feeling than riding in a machine you assembled from the ground up, all the sounds and feedback you get from the machine will become a joyful harmony knowing that you had a part in it all.

i just finshed my 99 conquest rebuild frame removal and and cut and replace bad parts of frame i too said fun in the start but 7 months later and about 6 grand in parts i was over it but it is fun now. looks like a good project the worse part of mine was taking it all apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Does it have single 60 chains on the back 2 axles?
    Hmm not sure about that one - I'll need to measure the sprockets as the original drive chains are AWOL too.

thanks for the offer of help - i'm sure I will have a lot of questions once i get to the hard stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by reichstall View Post
    i just finshed my 99 conquest rebuild frame removal and and cut and replace bad parts of frame i too said fun in the start but 7 months later and about 6 grand in parts i was over it but it is fun now. looks like a good project the worse part of mine was taking it all apart.
    wow 6k?

I hope I don't spend that much. I'm not going to be restoring it to off the shelf showroom condition, just good running condition - she's not going to win any beauty pageants!
    and then it's off to the farm to spray weeds collect firewood, harrow a few fields... and generally haul my butt around the place!

I have plans to build a self powered rough cut slasher to tow behind it, but that's another project.... for another thread...

Based on the Chain tensioners, I have narrowed down the year model to somewhere between 1995 and 2002.

The 3 right side chain tensioners were cut through by the previous owner - So I have to replace those also. (I have *almost* stopped asking 'why the **** did they do that!' every time I find something like this)

I have asked for a local quote on a full set of gaskets & seals - mostly as a good laugh for you guys. - I think I will end up ordering parts direct from argoparts.com

I have also managed to track down a second hand hood locally for $400. (original was AWOL)

I've also noticed that they must have hit something hard with the rear left wheel.

The Axle has been 'punched in' toward the body, which has made the bearing slide up the axle and jam tight...

To remove the axle, first they have bashed on the end of the axle where the thrust washers & bolt go in... mushrooming the end of it, and closing over the bolt hole slightly.

That hasn't worked so then they have just cut the bearing housing bolts through... ground off the mushrooming and then slid the axle out.

To get the bearing off, I managed to back out one of the grub screws, but had to cut through the other with a hack saw.

I'm hoping I can use my die-grinder to open up the thrust bolt hole again and save the axle.
    Last edited by mitchamus; 10-24-2012 at 10:23 PM.

A little more work accomplished,

The tow receiver has been bolted in. I used a liberal amount of Selly's All Clear around the edge plate where it comes into contact on the tub, and then around each bolt hole.
    I wiped each surface down well with alcohol first to remove any oil or dust.

I then accurately torqued the bolts to the exact setting of "as tight as my air Butterfly will get them"

I also purchased the 24 bolts to re-attach the 4 bearing extension housings... @ $3.10 each!!!...

I also priced the bearings from my local supplier at $21.50 each, so around $430 for a full set.

Once i have the new bearings and the new seals, I can start re-assembling the axles and drive train.

I think I will also replace the bearings in the jack shaft while the engine is out.

Can anyone tell me how much chain I'll need to replace everything?
    I have found a supplier who sells RC50-2 in 10' lengths

never mind - I found this formula posted by Planter Bob:

((42+40+70+96+96) x 2 x .625) / 12" = 35.83'

sounds like a lot

that will take care of all chains on the conquest!
    Last edited by mitchamus; 01-12-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Cant' use a calculator properly!

Quote Originally Posted by mitchamus View Post
    never mind - I found this formula posted by Planter Bob:

((42+40+70+96+96) x 2 x .625) / 12" = 53.75'

sounds like a lot

that will take care of all chains on the conquest!
    Based on those numbers if my math is correct it should be 35.833'

but I was never a math person....skipped to many classes....

+ Reply to Thread