Conquest 8x8 re-build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Conquest 8x8 re-build

your doing a fantastic job. it all takes time and money. It took me 8 years off and on to finish the resto. on my 69 dart. Im building a half hardtop for my 99 conquest this weekend. as soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will get them on. its about 350 bucks in cash and about 30 hrs labor.

soooo Chains....

I finally got them!!

I can now say that the drive train is nearly done...

Here's a question- how long is a '96P' chain? 96 links???

Or 95 plus the joiner??

Or is it something totally different????

Can't wait to get them in...

Quote Originally Posted by mitchamus View Post
    Here's a question- how long is a '96P' chain? 96 links???

Or 95 plus the joiner??
    If your chain is the double #50, #50 means it is 5/8 of an inch per pin or link if you prefer....so, 95 times .625 = 59.375 inches plus the master link.
    If you have the #60 chain, it is 6/8 of an inch per pin or .75"

It is however, a much better idea to count the pins to double check your length......measure twice/cut once. "But I've cut it three times and it's still too short"

Hi mitchamus,
    I am also in the process of rebuilding my 2001 Conquest. Reading through your project so far has given me a new lease of life. Mine has been a bit slow but I haven't faced some of the problems you have. Well done for sticking with it, it will all be worth it in the end.

If your chain is the double #50, #50 means it is 5/8 of an inch per pin or link if you prefer....so, 95 times .625 = 59.375 inches plus the master link.
    great - thanks!

my chain is in 10' lengths

- so.. thinking out loud...
    Rear chains 96P = .625x95 = 59.375 x 4 = 237.5" - which is almost exactly 2 lengths
    Mid Chains 70P = .625x69 = 43.125 X 2 = 86.25" taken from roll#3 and leaves 33.75 inches left on roll 3...
    Front chains 42P = .625x41 = 25.625 x2 = 51.25 1 taken from the end of roll 3 which leaves 8.125 inches on roll 3, and 1 taken from roll #4 leaving 94.375 inches left.
    Idler chains 40P = .625x39 = 24.375 x2 = 48.75 both taken from roll 4 leaving 48.635 on roll 4.

have I messed something up?
    Last edited by mitchamus; 10-23-2014 at 05:32 PM. Reason: missed 2 rear chains

The back four chains come from 2 boxes, you can mix chains from third box to obtain the most left in box 4.

Did you mess something up? maybe from roll 3 to 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    you can mix chains from third box to obtain the most left in box 4.
    Ahhh yes.... well spotted! thanks.

ok so.. I cut one chain over the weekend - & it looks like the lengths are given to allow for the joiners - so you need to cut them at the stated lengths.

so cut the rears at 96, the mids at 70, fronts 42 and idler 40.

I cut one rear chain at 96 to begin with just in case - so avoided cutting a short chain WIN.

I also got each wheel squared away on the weekend. Double checked all the nuts, lubed all the bearings, and checked the tightness and location of each sprocket. found a missing grub screw from one sprocket which had a damaged thread. re-tapped it with a M8 x 1.25 thread.

- That all took ages.

I would like to find the engineer who designed the front right corner... and punch him in the face.
    getting your hand in there to check everything is a giant pain - literally. Had to remove the battery and holder just so I could swing the ratchet...not enough swing room to get even 1 click!

made me wish for a stubby ratchet handle for the first time ever!

I also made new brackets to hold the front seat cushion in.

I think I'm also going to remove the air baffle/duct for the radiator. The body seems to hang up on it anyway.

next jobs are to cut, install and lube all the chains.

then connect up the brake blower, install the bilge pump bracket, hose & exit port.

Then I should be able to start repairing the top and get it bolted down.

It is cracked in a few places, and I am going to pop rivet in pieces of light ally behind the cracks

I also need to find some way of reinforcing the back rest mounts. One is cracked quite badly. I may add some RHS and bolt through to the top.

I may not be able to stop myself for taking it for a spin before then.... but must remember to fill with coolant first!!!!!

well - as it turns out - no - I couldn't stop myself form taking it for a spin!!

the good news is - the clutch seems to work fine.

bad news - gearbox sounds like billiard balls in a cement mixer.

I'll change the oil and see if that makes a difference - but I doubt it.

I would like to post a sound file of it running so somone can tell me if it is bad or not. (first time riding one)

here is a video of it running.

sorry about the fingers.... nextime I will use my helmet cam...

the bang you can hear about the 40sec mark came from the left mid chain hitting the floor - not sure what happened there but it didn't sound good!

I'm hoping you can hear the gearbox sounds - most of the bad sounds seem to be coming from the driven clutch...

I didn't record any in reverse - I will be sure to next time...

https://flic.kr/p/qaKt5v
    Last edited by mitchamus; 11-24-2014 at 11:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread