Conquest Alternator Kit Review

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Conquest Alternator Kit Review

So why do the conquests have a 40 amp alternator. Why can't a 100 amp be used?
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    So why do the conquests have a 40 amp alternator. Why can't a 100 amp be used?
    The kit uses a mini denso alternator. Majority of mini denso alternators are used in racing applications, where weight is a factor. Most are in the 35 to 40 amp range, I have seen a few listed on ebay at 60 and 75 amps. A regular full size alternator will not fit in the limited room.

I bought and installed my alternator in my conquest in about 3 1/2 hrs, you guys had me worried it was going to be a bull to do this, mine went so smooth I thought I forgot something, only one bolt on bottom bracket gave me trouble getting it to line up, no loss of power seems to be working great

Hi
    40 amps at 14volts dc = 560 watts
    1hp = approx. 750 watts
    I would advise people to have only a set of flood lights on at idle [200 watts 16 amps] With all other loads the engine needs to be at least at 1500-1800rpm

Eg 60 amp current draw on a 80 amp altenator does drop the idle speed a little but did not effect any thing else on my vehicle
    tomo

So is the kit really worth $500 bucks? Nobody has done a DIY job? I'm really not likeing not having a pull start option since I'm often alone and off the beat path.

What do you have?

I have an 84 argo 8x8 with the kohler kt-17. I found a thread on mounting a pull start pulley so I have that on order, as I like having the old school option to get home.

Mine seems to stay reasonably well charged, I have a hi/lo/off switch on my cooling fan, but I need my lights as we are into the dark season. I think the first step is to replace the floods with LED's and then go from there.

my 94 conquest would not charge enough on rides to shut it off while waiting for others to get unstuck, and forget about night rides and using a winch, got stuck one time and all the winch would do was get tight /no pull at all, I carried a jumper box with me till I got an alt kit best thing I ever did, all I got is a lawn mower battery and so far not one problem with starting winching or night rides, the volt meter stays at 13/ 13-1/2 volts most all the time now

Quote Originally Posted by aarinsingh View Post
    So is the kit really worth $500 bucks? Nobody has done a DIY job? I'm really not likeing not having a pull start option since I'm often alone and off the beat path.
    I you get stuck out by yourself on a cold winter day with a dead battery the answer is YES. But if you know a little about alternators and building a mount then the answer is no, Way over priced. You can pick your self up a good mini alternator. And if you know anything about wiring. Go for it. The kit just makes it a lot easer. One thing is do not go cheep on the belt get a power rated belt they are a lot stronger a cheep one will stretch and you have to keep adjusting it. Then they just brake.

With this going to happen, I have been reading and looking at your photos. Just a question for you (WRENCHES) which I am not, It looks like the Alt is at the bottom where the water would be splashing on it when the tub has water in it. Is that so and who would design it being there. Just a question. Or am I wrong?

+ Reply to Thread