Welcome to 6x6 World.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
The master build thread for K.I.T.T But aplicable to all others.
This thread is to be the master thread of the argo build. I am going to reinforce the frame, tie it more efficiently into the body, and put HDI axel shafts in it. Also, a geo metro engine with Polaris RMK clutches will be inserted. I dont know what it will be when i get done, but this is the beginning.
Before we get started, i would like to point out that im doing this build in my gravel drive way, I got a 220 wire feed and stick welder for 300 dollars, and a Oxy-Acytlne rig for 200 bucks, and a new grinder from wal mart for 30 dollars. I dont have an air compressor, so all wrench spinning will be done by hand. I believe that if anyone drags home a GOOD tub and good frame and a transmission for ANY and i mean ANY AATV you should be able to apply the formula im attempting to put together. I just happen to have an Argo.
Note the polairs primary in the background
Put on some marvin grey for the geo and argo... no luck. Guess ill have to do it the hard way
Looks kind of cool with HUMVE doors.. but that is probbably a month away
My super visors, supervising and hiding tools
working on GEO wiring
upper body off
saggy bottom tub too
Still Lots of work to be done. It has the LONG axels in the front, anyone have a neat fix for that to replace with short ones?? I know i am going to have to build some more frame but if you had any pics that would help.
Looks like the picture links as URLS arnt working for the new album. It can be seen here until i get it figured out. The tear DOWN of old green
Last edited by spookum; 06-06-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Just look below each picture. Copy that URL in the box and paste it into your thread. It's that easy. You can read more here: How to post pictures
Originally Posted by spookum
Sounds like a good thread to follow. Looking forward to watching it!
Thanks mike, i have never scrolled that far down... better keep an eye on me and make sure i dont screw up!
Originally Posted by Mike
Thanks LarryW. I hope somone does this to an attex, or a max or anything else. All you need is a G-10 engine and HDi axels....
Nice project machine. Are you installing the HDI Outer Axle Bearing Assemblies to go along with the axles?
I never bothered with the HDI Axles in my machines, just did the bearing upgrades.
Watching from remote location. Spookum told me "I'm not going to buy another argo" the other day. I have some doubts, but you get the point. I am excited to see this thing fly, and have the strength to back up the speed. Oh ya, sure laughed about the Marvin Gaye part!
Beings how old green had the 62 MM out board bearings and pinned axel shafts, to upgrade to plain SPLINED axels and the HDi bearings didnt make much sense. I may as well go for the HDI axels. kind of like "in for a penny, in for a pound" Im also goingto run tripple bearings per axel and put exension on all all eight.... I can load it like you do RD and then throw two more moose on top!
Originally Posted by Rock Doctor
Originally Posted by MIteyMT
.... so i went to quote you mitey, and i over did it.... but what i want to know is the "MIteyMT is on a distinguished road" HOW DID YOU GET ON A DISTINGUISHED ROAD.. me thinks i just highjacked my own thread...... Please do help out all you can. Kust figred out that i have to move the frame in thr front, the HDi axels arent long enough... this should be fun! did you get your plane ticket for september yet to go swamp donkey hunting??
Back to the OP. Been fishing and twisting wrenches on other folkes stuff. Time to get the fenders lifted!
Screw the 2X4 down, just screws and a fender washers about 14 of them.
Wedge the board up with what ever i had laying around. I went well beyond what i thought i needed, as i know it will fall back down a little.
Heat up with a butane torch, till the bend on the fender becomes glossie... and vola... let stand for 24 hours for plastic to fully set.
First desighn flaw: The HDI axels are going to be too short in the front now what?
So in short, the front axel are too long. The HDi axels wont reach the inner frame rail. So now i need to build a piece of frame, notch it to fit around the jack shaft, reinforce the heck out of it, all the while maintaining alignment of the axel.... Unless somone has a better idea?
Standing in front of the argo, the "long" axel shaft is in front, jack shafts behind.
Standing next to the argo, from left to right, long axel shaft, jack shaft and then on the right, normal length shaft.
Ok, so my gut says to mimic the pipe bumper in thee magnum frame, and your problem is an opportunity. All newer argos have a caged outer front bearring bolted to the "pipe bumber" inside the frame. To avoid a lengthy meaningless description, look at your second "side" photo, start in the upper left hand corner, and work that heavy wall pipe in there. Since you do not have the tub clearance to put it inside the tub, I would build a three piece internal pipe that bolts very snugly to the front and to the inner frame rails, and then make your late model pipe bumper, but "half pipe" style externally. For a good example of sandwiching the body, look at the tow ball on that machine for a model, and then slap the much-needed uhmw full body pan on there to tie it all together. Ok, so I guess I am going to have to draw it after all