Project Bush Machine

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Bush Machine

north in Quebec Canada, a town named Matagami, its like 850 km north of Montreal if you know where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by prailleraide View Post
    north in Quebec Canada, a town named Matagami, its like 850 km north of Montreal if you know where it is.
    Google earth does Hello down there! If your going to wait untill october there is a gentle man who was setting his machine shop back up on the forums here. You may want to get in contact with him and see if he can build you an adapter for a snowmachine clutch as i think he has built one or two of them with good results.... and then start looking around for a primary and secondary.... if your going to mount it that way

Just to keep you dreaming, the adapter for the G-10 to a P-85 Polaris primary clutch is done. Take a look when you get a minute

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...tml#post123767
    TTYL

really nice, thats pretty much what i will need hehe. what plans you got for the secondary?

Matched polaris secondary. I think they are bolth a 7/8 shaft and a 3/16 key way. Got a Dynacor belt too... I hope it works It was only 50 bucks if i remember. IT is a "high temp high horsepower belt" Dont need "high horse power" but high temp could be a good idea. Belts break down REALLY fast under super amounts of heat. Of course there could be clearence issues betwene the trans and moter, the clutches have to be VERY close and the TBI intake, and starter will demand spacing. The good news is i already have a 2003 800 RMK so the spacing and offset should be a no brainer (for you purposes, try to get a WHOLE sled with a blown motor could be the hot ticket you know?)

TTT updated.

I have purchased secondary and primary polaris from ebay. I'll probably use an argo belt cause its a bit longer. Just adjust driven and add or remove spider shim on clutch to get the good belt to sheave clearance.

I found a machinist that will make my adapter on a 1 piece hardened shaft. I will probably get the adapter in December

For now I am working on other stuffs ; custom dash panel with access on back; hood lift to fit the engine;

For the engine i am waiting for the adapter to start building engine mount / plate, i will use the original trans/engine bracket, that i lowered a bit to get clearance (1.5'') and will solidify with braces.

Before you get too far along, i would recomend NOT using the argo belt. They are more narrow than the polaris belt. which will increase the engagment RPM.... Since they are smaller, they will not distribute the heat evenly. Also, the angle from the polaris cluth face to the argo clutch face are diffrent, so you will get more slippage and heat.

Most importantlyl, the argo belt is 100$+ and it is only good for what? 30 HP? @ 4000RPM max? Go with a polaris belt, the 800s are like 150 HP at 10000 RPM.... If this is going to be a bush rig, put the money where it counts. You will have to shim the polaris seconday away from the transmission housing to keep the shive from rubbing on the brake calipers, and you will have to heat up and move the fire wall too.

what is a reall benifit is the argo clutches are 2:1 low range and 1:1 at full shift out. the polaris drive and driven clutches are 4:1 low range and .76:1 at full shift out. IT IS WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT!!!!

Polaris clutch spring to lower engagement of snow mobile clutch.

And you defiantly need this. Most sled clutches engage 3000 rpm to 4800 rpm. Use Polaris part number 7041132 to get your engagement down. You can dial it in for full shift out with clutch weights... i know, i know, that cluch spring show up now for use in "four wheelers" but back in the eighties they used them in sleds. So long as you have a P-85 clutch your going to be good to go. It will also keep you from shock loading all your chains!

I bought mine from these guys:

7041132 SPRING-CLUTCH $21.25

... oh and it is a heck of a lot easier to start machining the adapter with the end of a broken polaris crank (it is already threaded and has the correct taper). You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap, probably even less than the round stock!
    Last edited by spookum; 11-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.

thanks for the links Spookum.

I just received my adapter, pretty nice machined part and fits very well.

I bought a polaris belt, the longest they have.

Now working on support and mount (pre alignment)

waiting on universal alignment tool for fine alignment

will post a bunch of pics soon . have a good day

What was the cost and source for your adapter? That would be really helpful! PM me if it is private (aka a name and number)

also, get that spring coming! you defanitly need it for the polais clutch.

My conversion seemed to be working flawlessly (did you see the vids?) Then either the engine developed a knock (no surprise, i ran it too hard, too many RPM and destructive HIGH engagement) or maybe ill get lucky and it is just a bad motor mount? At any rate, it got below zero farenheight and im afraid to move the wiring around to work on it, as it gets brital at these temps.

good luck and keep me posted! more pics is better!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread