Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Strapping down an Argo to a trailer

Quote Originally Posted by whitepuff View Post
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Anyone perhaps have a pick of the new tie down hooks? might be something I'll be able to fabricate locally. In the mean time I'm fooling aournd with some ideas based on the above comments. Like the trailer hitch receiver idea. on point quick and simple. just need to figure out how to do the front as I don't have a winch or winch plate.....yet
    New tie down hooks are good but fasten the same way, on the front, as the snow plow plate ie: under the axle extensions, it seems to work using them to tie on the avenger front and as others have said the hitch in the rear. Some say not to use the winch,fairlead ok but not the winch,Gokorn1 puts the doubt to that advice

Strapping down an Argo.

Hi
    Here is what I did to hold down my Argo. This may to over kill but works for me.
    First I installed wooden blocks for the front tires to come up against. Then I installed an eye bolt in the top body of the argo by removing the lower body bolt that goes through the inside frame below the winch. Install another eye bolt on the floor of the trailer in the middle at the front of the trailer. I then installed a turnbuckle to the eye bolts (your choice of fasteners). Then tighten the Argo to the trailer at the front. At the back of the trailer install another eye bolt. Hook a short cable from the eye bolt to the Argo trailer hitch.
    I then installed 4 ratchet straps to the 4 corners of the argo 2 at the front hooked up to the trunbuckle and going to the side of the trailer. Hook up the other 2 ratchet straps at the back from the back cable to the body of trailer. The argo will not move.

Paul

Thumbs up Larry W Argo Tie Down

I like the idea of using the winch plate and the rear hitch. Myck ARGO has a rear rack attached to the hitch insert. When I picked it up the previous owner used the hand rails and seat mounts to tie them down. I need to add more tie downs to my trailer. I tied mine to the rales and used chocks on front and rear. It made the trip from Amarillo to Louisiana just fine. Now if I can only find a set of Muddox Swimming tracks to go on it!

winches, if you read the paper work are NOT TO BE USED A TIE DOWNS!

1. no gaurentee that they will hold

2. if they do, is the third layer of cable tight? what happens if it isnt? if there is 1/4 inch of slack in your winch and you hit a bump your shock loading everythign. a steady, measured load is ok, but a shock load? bad news. beaks winches internaly and welds to... pulls out rivets and raises havoc.

3. the higher angle, vs. down LOW means it can walk side to side on a trailer.

4. you have only ONE fail point. IF the winch FAILS bye bye argo!!!

simple solution is for 4 GOOD QUALITY WELL MAINTANED ratchet straps. IF you take a 500 lb test ratchet strap, tie it to an axel, run it out at an angle (do the front first as it is the most heavy) and get it as tight as you can, the law of angles comes into play. Unelss you take it strait down (i hope you go at an angle) you can assume that 1/2 the force of the pull is forward, the other half is down. each axle would then get loaded with 250 pounds DOWN and 250 lbs forward (or back if you have done the rear now). this is well within the towing/hauling capacity of the argo. if a axle, or bearing fails, i would simply be thankful that it is still on the trailer, as it would have DEFANILTY failed in the bush.

Quote Originally Posted by spookum View Post
    winches, if you read the paper work are NOT TO BE USED A TIE DOWNS!

1. no gaurentee that they will hold

2. if they do, is the third layer of cable tight? what happens if it isnt? if there is 1/4 inch of slack in your winch and you hit a bump your shock loading everythign. a steady, measured load is ok, but a shock load? bad news. beaks winches internaly and welds to... pulls out rivets and raises havoc.

3. the higher angle, vs. down LOW means it can walk side to side on a trailer.

4. you have only ONE fail point. IF the winch FAILS bye bye argo!!!

simple solution is for 4 GOOD QUALITY WELL MAINTANED ratchet straps. IF you take a 500 lb test ratchet strap, tie it to an axel, run it out at an angle (do the front first as it is the most heavy) and get it as tight as you can, the law of angles comes into play. Unelss you take it strait down (i hope you go at an angle) you can assume that 1/2 the force of the pull is forward, the other half is down. each axle would then get loaded with 250 pounds DOWN and 250 lbs forward (or back if you have done the rear now). this is well within the towing/hauling capacity of the argo. if a axle, or bearing fails, i would simply be thankful that it is still on the trailer, as it would have DEFANILTY failed in the bush.
    I would agree with this
    I've had to deal with 2 winches that failed due to being used as a Tie-Down. Both were older Warn Winches that did not have any built in Brakes and were designed with plastic internal gearing. Both had the plastic gearing sheared off inside.

RD

I gotta revive this thread after yesterday.trailered the argo about 600kms and had to retie the argo at least 4 times.roads are so rough that my ratchet straps kept unhooking.i nener had this problem with anything on a trailer before.even lost my licence plate off the outboard motor mount because the HDI moved to the back of the trailer. I had the front ad back tied as well as a strap over the entire machine and it still came loose.never ever had that problem with my two previous argos.im thinkin it may have something to do with the rear wheels being off the ground.heading to princess auto to see what I can find for better tie down rings and short heavy ratchet straps.

You could shim out the difference in front and rear axles with plywood to get all wheels on the ground.

hi
    tie down hook either using the original winch plate or fabricate 2 plates yourself with the outer having a tie point .
    Rear tow hitch
    APPLICATION
    My front tie down is a chain that loops around the trailer and onto the front hook
    Rear tie down uses a load binder connected to trailer and 6x6 rear hitch
    Tighten the binder and it pulls the 6x6 tight against the front chain .done .

tomo

I usually use the front axle method and around the rear hitch when hauling my Bigfoot. But nothing beats the ease of the front and rear hooks on my HDI. I am looking at buying a set for my Bigfoot but am not sure if they will bolt up. I need to measure. You can get them online at argoparts.com I think $25 US

so I went to princess auto and bought 4 heavy bolt on tie down points.i can now cross tie that sumbitch real good.it aint going anywhere.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread