23 hp Vanguard Engine Upgrade

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 23 hp Vanguard Engine Upgrade

23 hp Vanguard Engine Upgrade

Hi,

I have been a member for quite sometime, but basically just reading. I have a 23 hp Vanguard engine i would like to put in my 6x6 Argo Vanguard replacing the original 16 hp. I run 18" tracks in the winter and am hoping i will get a little more torque from this engine for the hills while pulling firewood. From the reading i have been doing i still have a couple of questions. Maybe someone can offer advice.

1. Mounting, are the bases the same? Do you use the same holes?
    2. Engine clutch, will my original clutch require any adjustment? Alignment?
    3. Exhaust, can i use the 16 hp exhaust with a modified manifold from the 23 hp?

Thanks

Newfieguy

1.You may need to make a bracket for you engine mount to line up properly. This could be something simple like welding in a new plate.

2. Are the shafts the same size on the 16 to the 23hp?

3. ????
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Hey Guyfox.

I havedone some more research, it appears the 23 hp has the exact same mounting holes as the 16 hp. 7.667 x 4.016. So i should be good there. It appears they use the same base with different cylinders.

Shafts are indeed the same size, and if the bases are the same then the alignment issues are nil. Only question i have is the weights in the clutch with the additional torque, the RPM will remain the same so i am thinking engagement will be fine and the clutch itself will compensate for additional torque.

The exhaust will have to be modified, the flanges on the cylinder head are further apart then of the 16. My question, can the 16 hp manifold and muffler assy be used for the 23? I can weld in a piece to make the 16fit the 23,, but i am wondering about flow, back presure as the 23 emits more volume then the 16.

so long as your exhaust ports are the same diameter i see no problem. The only two things exhaust does for a four stroke is torque and HP. More HP is more free flowing, more torque is more back pressure. If you restrict the exhaust slightly, it should build a little more torque. Just watch it that it dont over heat.

Your clutch should be fine, it is probbably weighted to stay in a numericaly lower gear longer (as opposed to the 23 hp). Just hose it down with brake parts cleaner and blow it out.

It may be time to contemplate bearing extension, at least in the front since it is open and easy to get to!

Hi Spookum,

Thanks for the insight, I was thinking along the same lines as you but wanted to get more opinions from others. Has anyone in the forum doen this conversion?

Hmmm, great idea. I have a 94 (i think) vanguard 6x6, what extensions should i use? My Argo does not have the cross tube, but i have heard of people just drilling through the body and chassis and fastening with a nut and bolt. Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks

my 84 I/C 8X8 didnt have axle extensions either. this is what i did:

I beleive that that is WAY over kill for what your doing. If you look at a HDI argo, the extensions are even less fancy than the previous geneartion. They are held on with six bolts. It is my VERY VERY firm beleif that you can take a peice of square tubing and do it that way by welding up either end. OR i dont know why a guy cant sandwitch like 5 or 10 peiced of HDPE plastic together.... or alumanum. That would be the cheapest and easies route. Especialy if you only inted to do the front two. All you need is a two and three quarter inch hole cutter, a scribe, 3/8 drill bit. Put the bearing flange on top of the plastic or alumanum. Drill 4 holes. Use a strait edge and draw lines betwene bolt holes. This will give you a center hole for the axle. Now you have a template. Clamp it to other peices and make coppies. As many as you would like! I would also add two bolt holes in front and in back for extra strength. You can even practice with a 2X4 and "mock it up". My bearing extensions are only 4 inches. (just like the HDI) If you want to go COMPLETLY nuts you can get a 72 MM bearing from big bearing supply, and Argo HDI flanges, just the outer and inner. Bet for just doing the fronts you can be into it for 100 or 200 bucks.

good luck!

Hey,

I think i just hit a wrong button and i have to retype again. My bad.

Nice extensions, looks strong. I have been thinking about this and am wondering if i should even bother. I have about 200 hours on the argo since rebuild and no troubles yet. 100 of these hours is pulling wood over rough terrain in the winter and the bearings are not even loose yet. Maybe i should leave well enough alone and see how much longer they last to determine if its worth sinking money into.

Have a look at my youtube channel ...Google Hunt4fish2 ... that should take you righ to it.

Great job spookum. Looks tough best I ever seen.

+ Reply to Thread