Argo transmission slight oil leak ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo transmission slight oil leak ?

Argo transmission slight oil leak ?

Was checking the trans fluid,,like none on the stick,,see some dampness on the trans case around the right side Rotor(not on the rotor),,looks like gear lube is oozing out of the 2 upper bearing's,,there is no "Plug Plate" on either of the 2 bearing's,,it looks like they fell out,,theres a "Plug Plate" on the drive belt side,(not leaking),,but none on the right or opposite side,,,suppose to be 2 of them,(leaking now),#23 on the Bigfoot Parts Manual -1.0 Transmission.

I did add 75w90 gear lube to the trans,,but wondering how these 2 "plug Plates" would just be missing ???? Any Ideas ?

I did find a thin sliver of steel on each of the 2 Plug Plate mounting Hole's like something, shaved this sliver off of the Plug Plates,,that are not even there,,,not Good!

Anybody have any pics of there Argo tranny,,,right side(not belt side), towards the top of the Rotor disk,,there should be 2 round "Plug Plates", about 2" in dia,,mine are both missing,,and I can see the retainer ring, bearing and the end of each shaft,,,trans lube(gear lube) seems to be seeping out,,,Anyone?,,

hey, i have an oil leak on the throtle side of my trany. looks like a black plug about 1 3/4" to 2". i was going to clean it up let it dry and put some "gasket maker" around it..
    I can look at mine 2moro to see what it is supposed to look like if u didnt fix er..

If memory serves, you should have covers (Plug Plates) over those bearings. Can you see the rollers in those bearings, or do they have seals on them?

RD

I found today that I'm missing one of these plug plates... Not sure how long it's been gone, or if it was ever there. What happens if I run without it? Is it a part I can source local or do I have to order it argo specific... Or, is there a quick/kludge "fix" that can hold me over for say four hours of running the machine?

Thanks all, in advance, for any advice.

The plug plates should be reinstalled, you can pick up some freeze plugs at the auto parts store. Sorry, I don't remember the size, if the bearings are installed correct the sealed side should show but will not hold the oil in which is why the plugs are there.
    The dipstick is vented so check to see it breathes.

The newer versions of these transmissions do not have these plugs, they are cast into the cover. My 1999 conquest has a replacement transmission dated 2006. The cover has no plugs. The only other difference is there are two threaded holes at the front top corner and rear lower corner to put the cover bolts into to push off the cover for disassembly. The new style cover is a direct replacement for the plug style covers. When installing the 2 plugs be very cautious not to strike the center of the plug. This may dent the plug inward and will reduce the overall circumferenc of the plug causing a leak or cause the plug to fall out again. green or yellow loctite is also a good idea for the plugs.

Dave

New to this forum. I discovered a missing plug plate on the upper right side of my 2000 argo conquest transmission, fluid leaking out and a sliver of metal. Much the same as master mudder. Just curious as to what causes the problem and if replacing the plug plate solves the problem. Thanks

My argocat from 1982 has this oil leak too, there on the side of the transmission.
    At the moment i dont know where it definitely comes out, at the dobble lip oil seal or there down at the retaining ring.
    Is it possible change the dobble lip oil seal from the outside, i would try to pull it out with a scewdriver?

Tomorrow i will test it, than i think i will see it where the oil comes out.
    Thanks.IMG_6010.jpg
    Last edited by Hauderer; 03-24-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: picture

Quote Originally Posted by Hauderer View Post

Is it possible change the dobble lip oil seal from the outside, i would try to pull it out with a scewdriver?

Tomorrow i will test it, than i think i will see it where the oil comes out.
    Thanks.Attachment 17481
    Yes it is possible

+ Reply to Thread