Argo Avenger model difference?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo Avenger model difference?

Argo Avenger model difference?

I have been looking for a avenger for a while pre hdi and but I would like some input from others that have them. It looks like the 2004 to 2006 are carbrated and 2007 up to now are efi. The 700 motor has a backup pull start and the 750 does not? Looks like two different ratio transmissions 2.6 and a 3.3. Are there any frame changes? Length or width changes?

Are there any other major changer that one might opt for from one year to another.

Living in Nebraska and only two public ridding areas my use will be limited to small lakes and a few streams so no bottomless mud or heavy marsh land to play on . I would like a set of tracks for the limited use in the winter.

Opinions and suggestions are all welcome.
    My collection: 2) attexes, 1) super swamp fox

I wasn't aware that any of them had pull start back-ups. Are you sure that wasn't an air cooled motor? A frontier is very similar.

The newer models no longer have the chain tensioner for the front chains... reference this post http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tml#post146127

That could be it may have been a frontier. I was trying to remember what Tim or Mike said from Adair a while back. So the 700 only has electric start. Is there any performance parts for the 700?

I have a 2005 that doesn't have a parking brake, no pull start, has a carb, is liquid cooled. I don't know the ratio, nor frame changes. I'm basically a beginner Argo owner.

The first generation models had a clip on the input shaft of the transmission that can come loose. If that happens, it allows one of the forward gears to slide on the input shaft to where only the edge of the teeth mesh with the other gears. It can break the teeth. The newer models used a retaining ring to hold a clip in place to prevent this from happening. They also went from a three dog gear to a four dog for better durability. I think the change happened sometime in late 2006 or early 2007. My Avenger is a 2006 model and it had the older style transmission. I had the clip come off of my input shaft and it chewed up the gears.

I don't know how often this happened but it was obviously enough to necessitate a redesign. Just something to keep in mind. The transmission isn't difficult to upgrade to the new style retaining clip but if the teeth get torn up before you do the upgrade, you have to purchase several new gears because the three dog style are no longer manufactured so you have to upgrade both input gears and the center dog to the four ear style.

Here is a photo of my transmission. You can see the clutch dog and the two gears that have to be replaced:

In all fairness Mike, wasn't your Avenger "rode hard and put away wet" before you bought it? If the clip held up to that much abuse, is it really a design flaw? I'm willing to bet that I can break pretty much anything if I try hard enough. LOL On the other hand....it might just be cheap insurance to install the retainer on the older ones.

Paul, This may be the info you were looking for. It is actually for any machine with the CVTech powerbloc clutch. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...tml#post136357
    I have been experimenting with the weights on my MaxII Bigfoot..... http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post135688
    Lately I have been adding weight back on, I'm close to what I want and I will update the thread when I get it right. I'm currently running just a little heavier than the lightest weights that Mudbug listed.

Thanks for the info Mike! That is something that I have not came across in my searches.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    In all fairness Mike, wasn't your Avenger "rode hard and put away wet" before you bought it? If the clip held up to that much abuse, is it really a design flaw? I'm willing to bet that I can break pretty much anything if I try hard enough. LOL On the other hand....it might just be cheap insurance to install the retainer on the older ones.
    Yeah, my Avenger had ~185 hours on it when I purchased it and I don't think any maintenance was ever done to it. I definitely think that played the major role in my transmission letting loose. If it was isolated to my transmission I wouldn't have even posted it but when I was looking for the older style gears for my transmission, I called and spoke with three different Argo dealers hoping someone had the old style sitting on the shelf somewhere. One, the largest dealer by volume, had never had a problem with any of the Avenger transmissions. The other two each had seen the same thing happen on other Avengers (I don't know how many, it could just be one each). When I asked them if they had the old style gears in stock, they immediately knew why I was looking for them and asked if the clip had come loose.

I wasn't trying to imply that the older style transmissions are weak or inferior as there are lots of members on here that really beat on their Avengers on a regular basis without any issues. I think Jim hit the nail on the head when it comes to maintenance and the fact that mine was not maintained was most likely the reason for the problem.

I think at last count, I was up to 17 of the earlier trans units piling up, that I know of. ALL of them were in Commercial use in the gas industry, lived in Rubber Tracks, were riden hard, and lacked proper maintenance.

RD

+ Reply to Thread