2005 Avenger TLC/Upgrade

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Avenger TLC/Upgrade

2005 Avenger TLC/Upgrade

This is a 2004... not a 2005 like the thread title states.

Thought I would share with the group my progress on the Avenger.

I just took possession this past April and figured it was time to give it some much need TLC. This is a first generation Avenger and by the looks of it never had any kind of proper maintenance by the original owner.

Laundry list;
    1. Upgrade to HD axles and bearings.
    2. Replace transmission- 4.1 to 3.3
    3. Rebuild driven clutch
    4. Replace all chains
    5. Replace all chain tensioners with course ratcheting upgrades
    5. Replace all tires
    6. Perform safety recall on steering column
    7. Clean out years of greasy build-up... the never ending project!!!

Pics to follow;

Old tranny before clean-up began.

Tired chains and worn tensioner

New HD axle installed using the Adair adapter kit... real time save!

Cleaned sprockets installed on new axle

Row of new axles!

New 3.3 tranny waiting for installation

More to follow
    Last edited by kingtroller; 06-16-2013 at 02:50 AM.

I also have a 2005 Avenger, bought third-hand and was not told about any safety recall of the steering column. Can you please elaborate? I'd rather not have an accident, so am now seeking more info. Thank you.

I intend to check out this thread regularly to learn more about upgrades, to.

Nice Post. Ditto for me on the steering recall. First I have heard of it.

My 2005 avenger was the same situation when I bought it. 100% track time and no maintenance at all. Done all the bearings, clutches, etc, etc. Finally (and I mean finally) I can do out without worry. Plus, tomorrow I pick up my Adair tracks! Can't wait.

D

Quote Originally Posted by DerekF View Post
    Nice Post. Ditto for me on the steering recall. First I have heard of it.

My 2005 avenger was the same situation when I bought it. 100% track time and no maintenance at all. Done all the bearings, clutches, etc, etc. Finally (and I mean finally) I can do out without worry. Plus, tomorrow I pick up my Adair tracks! Can't wait.

D
    Getting Adair tracks? Now I know what i should have asked for for Father's Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    I also have a 2005 Avenger, bought third-hand and was not told about any safety recall of the steering column. Can you please elaborate? I'd rather not have an accident, so am now seeking more info. Thank you.

I intend to check out this thread regularly to learn more about upgrades, to.
    I got the info from Recall Bulletin #1, Avenger steering system. All Avenger models manufactured in 2004 prior to serial number V22399. The recall is dated January 3, 2005.

Now here's the funny part... Argo doesn't pay for the part for the recall... so it cost me around 89.00 to do the "recall".

I've been calling this a 2005 for some time now... even though it's only a 2004... sorry for the confusion about the steering recall.

Thanks for the info.
    Mine is a 2005, so maybe I'm safe?

Hello kingtroller,

I was wondering if you had to upgrade the bearing extensions on the front and back axles? When I contacted the local Argo dealer he stated that the original bearing extensions would not work with the new HD axle and bearing. Is that true? I purchased a 2005 Avenger 3 months ago and I can not wait till the weather warms up to work on it. Thanks.

When you open the tranny make sure you upgrade the low gear snap ring and have the shaft grove machined bigger or purchase a new shaft to accept the larger snap ring it will save your tranny down the road

Quote Originally Posted by nemanuel View Post
    I was wondering if you had to upgrade the bearing extensions on the front and back axles?
    I've done the same upgrade on the front axles of my '97 conquest and the good news is that using the kit from Adair Argo you do not need to do anything with the extensions. They've fabricated an adapter. It is a quick and easy upgrade. When I did it I talked to Mike; he will need to know which machine you have and which axle and then magically a box shows up with the adapter/stuff you need.

+ Reply to Thread