Need help removing an axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help removing an axle

If you're looking at a collar right near the bearing that has a threaded hole with a setscrew and another hole about 1/4 of the way around you've found the locking collar.

To remove those you leave the chains or or otherwise prevent the axle from turning then you stick a punch into the unthreaded hold and you smack it, usually opposite the direction the axle turns. You don't want to put the punch into the threaded hole since that will ruin it. If it doesn't move you can try turning it the other direction.

What that locking collar does is fit with the bearing in such a way that when you fit it over the bearing and turn it to lock it in place it wedges with the bearing and keeps the axle from moving. The setscrews doesn't really hold the axle in place, it just keeps the collar, which holds the axle, from moving.

As for cutting axles, when I cut mine out I used a recip saw (Sawzall) with a 12 TPI metal cutting blade. I got the fanciest bi-metal, coated blade they had at Lowes. It took 8 blades to cut 6 axles.

Quote Originally Posted by phabib View Post
    If you're looking at a collar right near the bearing that has a threaded hole with a setscrew and another hole about 1/4 of the way around you've found the locking collar.

To remove those you leave the chains or or otherwise prevent the axle from turning then you stick a punch into the unthreaded hold and you smack it, usually opposite the direction the axle turns. You don't want to put the punch into the threaded hole since that will ruin it. If it doesn't move you can try turning it the other direction.

What that locking collar does is fit with the bearing in such a way that when you fit it over the bearing and turn it to lock it in place it wedges with the bearing and keeps the axle from moving. The setscrews doesn't really hold the axle in place, it just keeps the collar, which holds the axle, from moving.

As for cutting axles, when I cut mine out I used a recip saw (Sawzall) with a 12 TPI metal cutting blade. I got the fanciest bi-metal, coated blade they had at Lowes. It took 8 blades to cut 6 axles.
    argo mid sproket edit.jpg

Here is a top view picture. the top of the picture is toward the inside of the machine and the bottom of the pic is toward the out side of the machine. The set screw that I already removed came from the area that I put an arrow. Is this the locking collar? There was another little hole near where the set screw came out... If so can you explain again how I remove this? Do i put the punch in and try to make it spin on the axle to loosen it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by MichMan84 View Post
    Attachment 10733

Here is a top view picture. the top of the picture is toward the inside of the machine and the bottom of the pic is toward the out side of the machine. The set screw that I already removed came from the area that I put an arrow. Is this the locking collar? There was another little hole near where the set screw came out... If so can you explain again how I remove this? Do i put the punch in and try to make it spin on the axle to loosen it?

Thanks again for all the help.
    Looking at it now, the set screw may have come from an inch or so lower in the picture than where I actually put the arrow. But a set screw came from right in that area and there was another non threaded hole right by it.

Finished the Job!

Well it took some work but I got a brand new axle, bearings, and sprockets in my Argo. As you can see in my pics, I had to cut my old axle twice to get it out, but once it was out the new one went in fairly easy. I also added a temp gauge, a 12 volt power outlet and changed the oil while I had the firewall out. Once I got it all done I had to test it out on my sand pile(soon to be my beach)

Thanks to Argo Adventure for the fast parts delivery! My parts showed up 4 business days after I placed my order and they made it easy to make sure I got all the parts I needed to complete the job.

Cut Axle.jpgArgo on Beach.jpg
    Last edited by MichMan84; 07-27-2013 at 04:30 AM. Reason: For got to mention Argo Adventure

+ Reply to Thread