Heat build-up in engine area

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat build-up in engine area

Heat build-up in engine area

Hello. Our Avenger builds up a lot of heat in the engine compartment that I am not comfortable with. I keep thinking the heat might melt gas lines/filter and burn.
    The temp is averaging 170-180 degrees which isn't bad. It just that the heat builds up high that bothers me. Perhaps I'm being overly cautious, unnessesarily worried..to my question:
    Can I cut vent holes in the hood? How about holes in the firewall to add warmth to the driving area? Can I add another fan, perhaps mounted on the dash above the handle bar that plugs into the cigarrette lighter? Sounds fine but I value more experienced folks opinions than mine alone. Thanks.

How is your engine temp?
    The design is for the airflow to enter the right side, cool the radiator, and blow across the muffler on it's way out the left side. I would not cut any holes. You could try pulling the hood off and see how that cools it, but my guess is either the screen in front of the radiator is full of debris or your heat is normal.

This is a perpetual problem for small engines. In my opinion these machines need expanded metal for hoods, the hot air will rise out and the cooler air can enter through the air ducts. The Max4s I've driven never overheat with the design they have. I have a tan Max2 with expanded over the top of the hood and it never overheats. The best solution is to go with water cooling, even then the heat has to get out.

Argo came up with a optional hood exhaust fan to help remove heat from the engine compartment, part number 602-71.

Thanks for the help guys. The engine temperture shows 170 degrees all day, except when traveling with the wind at which time it goes up to 180-185. It hasn't gotten more then this.
    I stop on occasion and pull the hood to cool the machine faster. Sometimes I feelhest blowing past the firewall edges and it concerns me a bit. I guess I' m acting paranoid about it.
    I rode the Argo s few times without the hood. It helps only a little, but dang the thing gets loud!
    The screen is clean, the fan works, the rotor blower works and the exhaust is clean. The temp averages 170 degrees so maybe all is well. I guess what I need is a "This is normal dude. Enjoy the ride. No worries."

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Argo came up with a optional hood exhaust fan to help remove heat from the engine compartment, part number 602-71.
    I just took a look at it. I would need to buy the scoop kit and the fan kit. They claim a fifty degree drop in temp. I would have to fork over three hundred dollars. This would make it to the very bottom of the to-buy list.
    Thank you for bringng it to my attention though.

Temperatures that seem very hot to us (humans), like 170 degrees, are not hot to mechanical items. Unless you are having a problem, I wouldn't worry about that temp.
    Remember the HDPE plastic wont melt till approx 500 degrees.

Are all your exhaust shields in place, most of your heat is in the exhaust. As an example we had a JD mower with a carbed 25 hp. engine and after 10 minutes of full throttle with the deck engaged the manifold pipes were glowing red on into the mufler.
    You may want to check on richening up the engine to cool the exhaust some.

Yes all parts are in their rightful place. I must be paranoid I guess. I do appreciate the help.

Make sure your intake duct is tightly sealing against the air intake screen. If there are any gaps, hot air in the engine compartment will be recirculated over and over. If there is a gap ypu can rivet some rubber to the duct to close the gap.

+ Reply to Thread