Need help removing an axle

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help removing an axle

Hybrid View

Need help removing an axle

Alright so I started tearing the argo apart to fix or replace my right mid axle. I removed the chains on that side, pulled the bolts from the outer flange as well as the inner flange. I only found one set screw on the outer most part of the sprocket, I removed it. Now my problem is, Im stuck. The inner flange seems to be stuck to the inner bearing and wont come off. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the inner flange and bearing off of the axle?

Also, once I get the bearing and flange off, the axle should just slide out right through the sprocket and outer bearing, correct?

And one more thing, Once I finally get it apart and get my axle fixed, What should I replace and what should I make sure to do to make sure it still floats?

The inner bearing should have 2 set screws... did you loosen them?

Quote Originally Posted by kingtroller View Post
    The inner bearing should have 2 set screws... did you loosen them?
    I haven't been able to get at the inner bearing because the flange is stuck on.

Argo mid axle.jpg

The only set screw that I found was on the outer most part of the sprocket. I Think I need to find a way to get that inner flange off in order to remove any additional set screws. but please correct me if I am wrong. I didn't want to beat on the flange too much to loosen it from the bearing because I was unsure if I would damage anything inside that flange. Any ideas on how to get this flange off?

If the axle isn't suck on the outer bearing, you could push the axle in. Then use a hammer and a small chisel, putty knife, or screwdriver to separate the halves of the flange. Yes there are 2 pieces to them and sometimes they separate easily, and sometimes they don't. Then take a big hammer and whack the outer race of the bearing really hard. It will shatter into several chunks. Then you will be able to remove the inside portion of the flange. From there you could pull the axle out a little and remove the set screws.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    If the axle isn't suck on the outer bearing, you could push the axle in. Then use a hammer and a small chisel, putty knife, or screwdriver to separate the halves of the flange. Yes there are 2 pieces to them and sometimes they separate easily, and sometimes they don't. Then take a big hammer and whack the outer race of the bearing really hard. It will shatter into several chunks. Then you will be able to remove the inside portion of the flange. From there you could pull the axle out a little and remove the set screws.
    Thanks, thinking about it now I never checked to see if the outer bearing was also stuck. I was just worried about getting the inner flange off so I could remove that bearing. My Machine is up north so its gonna be a week or so before I can get back up there and work on it again.

Now that I have it all apart it looks like the wheel hub is bent as well as the actual axle. Should I try to have the axle/hub straightened or am I gonna end up just buying a new one anyway? The reason I ask is if i'm gonna have to buy a new one anyway I wanna go up next time with all the parts I need to finish. But if there is a good chance I can just have mine straightened I would like to save a few bucks.

One problem that I had was I beat the snot out of the inner axle and mushroomed it and drove it into the beari g.... I had to cut the race off.

Are you sure it isn't an eccentric locking collar??? That would explain your problem. If it is, put the chains on it and then knock the collar loose... It will have one set screw and a hole if it is a locking collar.

If your axle is strait, but the flange is bent, it is possible to straitened.... But I would consider buying a new one, the. Fixing the old one for a Spare

+ Reply to Thread