Hi all
Please bear with me - kinda long here. I'm trying to get a clear understanding of which past argo models came with bearing extensions front and rear, as either standard equipment or optional add-on. I'm looking at the period from about 1989 thru to 2004.
I've been looking thru the parts manuals on Beaver Dam Argo studying argo frames (thank you Beaver Dam) as well as reading thru the pages and pages of argo info here...turns out that some of what I thought I understood is in fact wrong. So I thought I would draw on the wealth of knowledge available here, from those who KNOW.
I currently have an '83 6x6 I/C and an '86 8x8 I/C (both have 1 1/4" axles, pinned) and I have supertracks for each. I only run the tracks in snow, and have thought long and hard about my what my needs are regarding track use. I don't do any serious swamping, nor do I foresee any in the future. I'm totally blown away by what Adairs can do (thanks Rock Doc! and others), as well as Escargo, and I am also really impressed with the Chanel track...but after thinking about where and how I use my machines, I don't really "need" those types of tracks (now, that doesn't mean that I don't WANT those tracks!). I really like my machines, but would feel more comfortable with the added support bearing extensions provide.
With that being said, in the near future I will be upgrading to a '99 Vanguard 2 6x6 which has really low hours on it, but no extensions either. It's a deal I just couldn't pass up. I'm also now thinking that I may upgrade the 8x8 in the next year or so. I have no problem buying something used and repairing it, as long as it hasn't been hammered. I'd like a machine with the extensions on it already or which could have them added..., but I need to know which model to look for.
Here's what I think to be correct (please set me straight if/where I am wrong):
Vanguard - no extensions.
Vanguard 2 - option on front, not possible on rear.
Bigfoot - standard on front, option on rear.
Magnum - standard on front, not possible on rear.
Response - standard on front, option on rear.
Conquest - standard on front and rear.
I've also thought about fabricating my own extensions for my 8x8, but I'm not sure that the gauge of the frame material is thick enough to support it. Any thoughts? All help and thoughts appreciated!

Bob