My fifty dollar 6x6

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: My fifty dollar 6x6

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    I like the big Honda looks sweet, did you mod the clutch? it looks like it has an auxiliary pulley for a generator. If its stock where did you find it?
    Thats a stock clutch from a EZ GO workhorse golf cart, they ran 16hp Vanguards for a few yrs. it has a m30 taper but its not hard to switch up to a 1", that 20hp Honda came from the factory with the m30 taper. the Vanguard 16 did also, clutch was MFG by/for Polaris so theres a lot of spring options, same clutch was used on all EZ GO 4 cycles from 91 to 07. i plan on runnin' a one wire GM alt off it.

Lookin' for some opinions if ya don't mind, looks like i can switch over to hydraulic brakes for around 250.00 in parts. is it worth the money?, will that make it more salable if N when the time comes. i'll have about 1000.00 into this thing if i do

Thanks for lookin'

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Not too shabby Nubs! Hmmm, let's see $50, a bit of elbow grease and spare parts, then turn it for a couple grand, not too shabby indeed. Good job so far, that's gonna make somebody a nice ride.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

hydraulic brakes are more reliable and don't require as much maintenance. if you can find a newer trans it has the mounts on it already. you will need a new bulkhead though.
    Acta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    hydraulic brakes are more reliable and don't require as much maintenance. if you can find a newer trans it has the mounts on it already. you will need a new bulkhead though.

Nubs, if you look up the early kb models there were low mounted hyd. brakes that would allow you to use existing firewall and help with low buck upgrade, some modification of powerpack would be needed.

Nice build so far, have you checked for second chain clearance of frame stiffener.

Thanks Fellas, there sure is not any extra room between the chain and the rear bar. i may need to do something about that, gonna wait t'il i get the new parts and i'll mock it up and see. looks like i need to start spending money now it takes the fun right out of it..

Good progress. By the number of replies, I think you have a lot of fans cheering for you. I just replaced a few bearings on a 2000 Response. While I was turning upside down and inside out to get at all the bolts, I took a moment and followed the power drive from the engine to the rear wheels. Argos are very basic. While it is true that you can buy a used machine and be up and running immediately, there is something to be said about having rebuilt the machine. You will know with certainty what every part does and how it works. When you go into the wild..... you will have the satisfaction of knowing that everything is good to go. If I ever do a rebuild on my machine, the one thing that I will certainly do is add extensions to some of the grease nipples. That would ensure a good supply of grease to the far to reach bearings. Good luck in your project.

Thanks

Looks about the same vintage as mine. Mine was free and also had a bent frame. The most expensive parts were the rims and tires. I also had to rebuild the motor and got hosed on a botched crank rebuild so I wasted about $750 on the crank. All in, including the money wasted at an argo dealer for a bad crank, I'm about $2500. The trans is very simple. The only thing wrong with mine is that it leaked. I just split the cases and resealed it and now its fine. Its noisy, smokey, bumpy, steers like crap (mechanical brakes), fast and a blast to drive.

+ Reply to Thread