Argo ID list

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo ID list

Argo ID list

This is a list I would like us all to create that shows key production differences and years models changed. I would like to have engines, trans, axle diameter and body design of each model. This list may get large. If you know something to add or see mistakes please let me know. The argo site History | Argo Atv has a pretty good history posted that help me start this. I will edit this as we go to keep the whole list together on the top of thread for quick reference.

Here is a thread to help you ID the year of your machine. Year ID

If you have a known model and year could you post it please.

1962 Ontario Drive & Gear Limited (ODG) was founded in Kitchener, Ontario.
    1967 First Argo 6X6, ABS? Engine XXX, axle diameter xx
    1971 First Argo 8X8, All models HDPE body, engines used xxx, axle diameter xxx
    1975 Tecumseh engine
    1981 Argo 8 I/C, Hydraulic brakes
    19xx Argo 6 Heavy Duty
    1985 Argo 6 Twin(replaces Argo 6 Heavy Duty), Briggs & Stratton, 656 cc twin cylinder I/C engine,
    1989 Argo 8x8 Magnum and the Argo 6x6 Magnum, Different clutch and higher transmission gearing.
    1992 Argo 25th Anniversary produced 25 Silver Vanguards
    1993 Argo Conquest with Kawasaki FD620D 20 hp V-twin engine,
    1995 Argo 8x8 Response
    1997 Argo Bigfoot, longer wheel base, 25" tires.
    2001 Argo Conquest 6x6, Kawasaki FD620 Liquid cooled 4 stroke V-twin, Jackshaft style driveline setup with double #50 chain from trans to jackshaft,double 50 jackshaft to front and middle axles,single #60 from mid axle to rear, Splined 1 1/4" axles with 5 bolt gusseted wheel flanges welded on, Inner brg's are 1" ID x 62mm OD in 4 bolt round pressed steel flanges, Outer brg's (OEM) are 1 1/4" ID x 62mm OD in 4 bolt round pressed steel flanges topped off with Argo's double lip seal 4 bolt aluminum seal housings, OEM tires/wheels are Goodyear Rawhide III's on nice 9" beadlock wheels,
    200x Argo 8x8 750 HDi, ADMIRAL transmission
    2010 Argo 700 HD (Europe market for better road travel)
    2012 Argo XTI, 1 1/2" axles, admiral transmission,Kohler Aegis LH 775 30 hp,

Ran out of time. More to come.
    Last edited by LarryW; 10-27-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Let's see if I can copy and paste from: History | Argo ATV

Customers in both our commercial and industrial market segments will delight in the new ARGO XTI, a tougher and more heavy duty version of the ARGO HDi. Professional hunters and camp operators wil

l also recognize the benefits and value that this new vehicle brings to their operations, and the industrial capabilities have been engineered using field-proven technology, allowing for increased payloads and greater durability.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

As a motivated team, ODG continues to strive for an innovative marketing approach to better penetrate the Northern Market. Our focus is also on International Development, in launching the newest model – 700 HD, which is approved for road usage in Europe .

The Gear Division is continuing to strive and improve on technological advancements, to remain the most competitive in gears and transmissions.

Commercial markets are the focus of our development.Expanding into insect abatement, search and rescue, lifting and drilling will lead to success in the market place.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

The 2000's

The 2000s saw the expansion of ODG by 16 500 Sq Ft in order to accommodate new state-of-the-art machinery including a brand new $1.2M gear grinder. All the upgrades ODG experienced during this decade had the same goals: to provide better costumer service, improve our already high quality, efficiency and flexibility.

The Argo is world renowned for its versatility and capability of traversing difficult terrain but in 2008, the challenge of our lives arrived, to help the Canadian Space Agency design a vehicle capable of withstanding the conditions on the moon, the Lunar Rover!

The ending of this decade saw the launch of the best model ARGO had ever produced, the ARGO 8x8 750 HDi. The 750 Hdi features a technologically advance, triple differential ADMIRAL steering transmission feeding even torque to all 8 wheels.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

The 90's

In 1992, ODG celebrated 25 years of Argo production. To commemorate Argo's silver anniversary, 25 silver-bodied Vanguards were built.

ODG introduced the first liquid-cooled engine in the new Argo Conquest in1993. The Kawasaki FD620D 20 hp V-twin engine captured the attention of the marketplace like nothing before and immediately propelled this model to prominence. Long lead times developed as demand far exceeded production rates that were pushed up weekly.

The Argo 8x8 Response was introduced to the market in 1995 - the answer for the individual who needed eight-wheel capacity at an attractive price.

Once again, ODG demonstrated its commitment to the customer by providing quality-built, innovative products. The Bigfoot invaded the market in1997, with an extended wheelbase to accommodate the 25" tires,increasing ride comfort over rough terrain.

In 1998 the late stand most expensive in a series of high-tech CNC machines, a LIEBHERR gear hobber, was installed at ODG's premises to produce the precision cut gears and other quality components demanded by ARGO and industrial products customers.

In a bold move, ODG decided to add 40,000square feet of new manufacturing and office space to its plant in New Hamburg. The continued expansion of the Argo market and the imminent introduction of a new model of industrial all-terrain vehicles made this decision necessary. At year-end, the site work was done and construction was set to commence in the spring of 2000.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

The 80's

1981 saw the introduction of the first Argo 8 I/C (Industrial/Commercial)with hydraulic steering brakes. This model rapidly captured 60% of the market share.

The Argo 6 Twin was introduced in 1985. Powered by the Briggs & Stratton, 656 cc twin cylinder I/C engine, the 6 Twin replaced the Argo 6 Heavy Duty. Following the success of this model,ODG introduced the Argo 8 Twin as a smooth running successor to the Argo 8 Heavy Duty.

The extensive redesign of the Argo 8 I/C in 1987 made this vehicle the most popular model in the Argo line-up.

1989 saw the end of a fifteen-year run as the last Tecumseh powered vehicle came off the assembly line. But with the end of that era, a new one began. In 1989 ODG introduced the Argo 8x8 Magnum and the Argo 6x6Magnum. The Argo 8x8 Magnum name was adopted to identify the top-of-the-line model that now featured new clutch components and a transmission ratio to respond to customer requests for higher land speed. The Argo 6x6 Magnum followed with similar upgrades.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

The 70's

In 1971 ODG introduced a stretched version of the Argo - the 8-wheeler.With this introduction, ODG was able to offer a vehicle with the largest cargo capacity on the market. The first 8-wheeler was powered by a 440 cc Kohler 2-cylce engine.

Also in 1971, ODG installed a state-of-the-art vacuum-forming machine, which made it possible for us to produce large quantities of vehicle bodies from coloured ABS sheet material.

Constantly looking for ways to upgrade the Argo, ODG decided to switch to the very durable, high density polyethylene material for the vehicle bodies and introduced vehicles powered by a Tecumseh 4-cycle engine in 1975. With the introduction of the 4-cycle Argo, ODG's market gradually expanded from the recreational sector into the utility and industrial/commercial sector.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

The 60's

Ontario Drive & Gear Limited (ODG) was founded in Kitchener, Ontario, in 1962. As the subsidiary of a German company,its objective was to design and manufacture power transmission and gears for the North American market. ODG de

veloped and manufactured a special transmission for a 6-wheel-drive, skid steer ATV - the Amphicat.

In1967 the Argo was born! Realising the potential of the ATV market, ODG decided to introduce its own 6-wheel amphibious vehicle - the Argo. Itwas named for its stamina on land and water after the Argonaut of Greek mythology.

In 1969 the Kitchener facility could no longer handle the volume required so ODG purchased a 10 acre site in New Hamburg and began construction.

Jim,good stuff,very interesting!

Larry, I'm just going to list some of the specifics that I know about my Argo.

2001 Argo Conquest 6x6, Kawasaki FD620 Liquid cooled 4 stroke V-twin, Jackshaft style driveline setup with double #50 chain from trans to jackshaft,double 50 jackshaft to front and middle axles,single #60 from mid axle to rear, Splined 1 1/4" axles with 5 bolt gusseted wheel flanges welded on, Inner brg's are 1" ID x 62mm OD in 4 bolt round pressed steel flanges, Outer brg's (OEM) are 1 1/4" ID x 62mm OD in 4 bolt round pressed steel flanges topped off with Argo's double lip seal 4 bolt aluminum seal housings, OEM tires/wheels are Goodyear Rawhide III's on nice 9" beadlock wheels, I think mine has the HU gearset trans.

Joe.

Thanks Joe! I'll add the info to the list.

Joe,
    I added the specs to the list. I may have to edit some specs down or this list will get huge, lol. I'll leave it for know and see how it goes. The argo conquest was introduced in 1993. Do you happen to know if everything remained the same as in your 2001 model? I see it has the same motor but axles and such? If so Ill move it to the '93 spot and try to see if anybody knows the last year produced to put with it. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for adding my info and managing this thread. You will figure out how it should outlined as time goes. Wow,didn't know conquest model began in 93'. I'm not sure about years prior to 2001. Also,I do not know the last year this model was produced.

Joe.

Not a problem Joe. Glad its spreading cool information to members already!

I added the Year ID thread. If you have a known model and year could you post it please. Thanks!

HI gang!!
    I"m back-ish.
    been too broke since selling my Hustler, to get another, but am now looking at an Argo 6x6.
    it's supposed to be an '87 "magnum", has a Kohler engine.
    What year, did Argo actually release the "magnum" and, how does one tell it is such?
    I'd really appreciate a quick response, since we are dickering price right now.
    Any realy good/bad things about it?
    if it's an 87, and not a magnum, can you help me I.D. it?

Thanks
    Ygmir
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

+ Reply to Thread