Trailering a Argo in the rain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailering a Argo in the rain

Trailering a Argo in the rain

Does anyone have any tips for trailering a Argo in the rain .

Put a cover on it ?

A cover would likely blow off. I'd turn it upside down.

Unless you have a nice heavy cover that snaps on all the way around,I would refrain from putting a tarp on it and thinking your good to go. Quik story. Apr 2010,going to Busco,forecast predicts rain for the trip down,God forbid my precious Argo get wet. Main battery and aux batt onboard and hooked up. Aux ltg hooked to aux batt. Argo on trailer facing backwards. Did a real nice job (I thought) covering the machine with a tarp and one of those mesh cargo nets. Upon leaving,almost immediatly noticed tarp being "sucked" down into the machine,figured eh,better than nothing. As of Charleston,WV. all still well. Some time between there and Raliegh/Durham,NC. the tarp worked it's way loose and unbeknownest to me started "flapping" around. Enough so as to pull both lite switches on (can't see,mach facing back) and get a good enough grip on a temporary pushbutton unit I installed in the dash to circumvent the not functioning start contact on the ignition switch,to tear it off and leave two wires hanging out of the dash. So,my effort to cover got me this;
    Arrived at Busco after an 11 1/2 hr trip with a machine with two dead batteries,I had to borrow a charger from RDR and kept borrowing JBF's booster pack through out the weekend.
    And a "start" pushbutton that consisted of the two wires I would just short together to crank and tape em back up. I didn't have a spare switch (do now) with me,the "parts" store at Busco didn't have anything to suffice and I was just too overwelmed with this being my first time down to just head into town confidently and return with the correct parts.
    And to add a little more insult,I had my windsheild on,why,IDK but every time I needed to jump the main batt we had to erect the windsheild,open hood,jump,untape wires ,short together,re-tape wires,un-jump,close hood,re-store windsheild (all while thinking,don't stall,lol). Well one time I forgot to fasten the windsheild down and as soon as we hit the first nice bump,I had a $294 spider web for a window.
    O,and BTW,(I'm sure a few of you know what's coming) it did NOT rain one drop the entire trip down.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 05-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.

A cover made for the job will not blow off or damage anything, believe me, we make hundreds of covers for anything from boats to trucks to trailers to farm tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    A cover made for the job will not blow off or damage anything, believe me, we make hundreds of covers for anything from boats to trucks to trailers to farm tractors.
    Yep,exactly what I ment by "a nice heavy cover that snaps on all the way around". A factory or equal quality,proper one.

What's the best way and where do you attach the snaps so you can snap a tarp to the argo? Is canvas tarp better for hauling in snow\rain conditions or plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by gotrippedoff View Post
    What's the best way and where do you attach the snaps so you can snap a tarp to the argo? Is canvas tarp better for hauling in snow\rain conditions or plastic?
    We would recommend a good quality PVC with lift the dot fasteners around bottom edge, or a 1" ratchet strap in the hem to pull tight under body band. We would also fit an eyelet band (a long double thick full length flap) just up from bottom to fit straps to for travelling. We would make straps to go under Argo from one side to the other.
    This how we make boat covers for both storage (no straps needed) and travelling.

This amount of work and a good quality PVC will not be cheap, it will however work well and last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    We would recommend a good quality PVC with lift the dot fasteners around bottom edge, or a 1" ratchet strap in the hem to pull tight under body band. We would also fit an eyelet band (a long double thick full length flap) just up from bottom to fit straps to for travelling. We would make straps to go under Argo from one side to the other.
    This how we make boat covers for both storage (no straps needed) and travelling.

This amount of work and a good quality PVC will not be cheap, it will however work well and last a long time.
    This,is what I'm talkin' about

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    This,is what I'm talkin' about
    Thank you, good to see someone else appreciates a proper job.

+ Reply to Thread