Idler chain is skipping

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Idler chain is skipping

Idler chain is skipping

Hi: i have an old 1970s argo 6x6 with a 399cc Kohler engine.
    The short chain on both sides of the transmission are called idler chains I believe. They seem very slack and skip constantly when I turn the Argo. Should I remove a link or just buy new chains and would I just count the links on the old chain and buy chain with the same number of links?

Personally I would replace them.

First of you should check to see if you can tighten the idler chains. If you cannot tighten them then you will need to replace them. Just count the number of links and then look around for the chain...local dealer, farm supply store, etc.

If they are already doing a lot of jumping then you may also want to take a look at the teeth on the disc to make sure that the teeth are not worn to much (very pointy like shark teeth). You may also need to replace them as well.

I had the same problem with my machine once when I first got an argo. When I went for a ride ended up shearing all the teeth of one side disc. Had a fun time trying to get back home....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Thanks Guyfox. It doesn't look like there is any way to tighten them although I don't know how they could get so slack. I just bought this Argo and I don't have much experience with them. The drive gears look OK though. Still pretty pointy looking. I don't know if they have Princess Auto in Newfoundland, but they have them here in Ontario. They sell all kinds of chain and sprockets ect for the farm Industry plus hydraulics small engines ect. My wife hates it because I spend hours in their just looking. LOL

Shepp,

If you do not have a manual for your machine then check the home page on this site. There are a lot of different manuals for all makes and years. I am sure you can find one there. If not then let me know. I have a bunch on my PC and I can send you one.

P.S. We do have a Princess Auto here. About 45 min drive from where I live.....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by shepp View Post
    Thanks Guyfox. It doesn't look like there is any way to tighten them although I don't know how they could get so slack. I just bought this Argo and I don't have much experience with them. The drive gears look OK though. Still pretty pointy looking. I don't know if they have Princess Auto in Newfoundland, but they have them here in Ontario. They sell all kinds of chain and sprockets ect for the farm Industry plus hydraulics small engines ect. My wife hates it because I spend hours in their just looking. LOL

The chains are probably done, should adjust them before you tying to find discontinued jack shafts. new chains would be good also but this will help for now.

Try this, most early Argo's are adjusted in this way.

Remove the front floor pan. The powerpack plate that engine and trans are bolted to should have 2 bolts behind where the trans mounts mounted on the side and threaded to frame(they are in slotted holes), loosen them. Next there is a bolt head in front of the engine with a nut under the powerpack, loosen that, also in slotted hole. Where the floorpan was removed locate the 3/8 bolt and lock nut, loosen locknut and tighten bolt until slack is removed. Re tighten lock nut, tighten the 3other bolts and you're done.

Thanks Argojim: I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by shepp View Post
    Thanks Argojim: I will try that.
    That worked. Thanks Argojim .
    Now I have to replace the floor pans they are so brittle and cracked .

+ Reply to Thread