Argo 6x6 or 8x8 ?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo 6x6 or 8x8 ?

Argo 6x6 or 8x8 ?

Looking to buy an Argo with tracks. Which is better in deep snow,6x6 or 8x8 ? Also is 500 hours alot and is there any concerns with that many hours?

Anything will go through snow.
    Once a machine gets approx. 200 hrs, they need to be inspected for bearings, chains, axles etc., refer to the buyers guide. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-s-guide.html
    Here is a 2004 Bigfoot by me. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/ebay-...o-bigfoot.html

I like the 8x8 because I can haul more firewood and people. Just works better for my situation. But 6x6 has smaller turning radius, easier to load and haul ect... Just comes down to what you need out of the machine.
    As far as hours. Any machine you buy will have risks. My machine has less than 300 hours and the transmission went out in it. Just never can tell. It's all about how well maintained it was.

+1 for the 8. You flatten your attack angle on snow berms and drifts. And they float in the snow better in my opinion. Try to watch u tube videos..... They can show you what I'm talking about. Especially rock dr. Videos!
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

+1 Rock Doctor youtube videos are very good. I highly recommend them.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Hi ,
    Once u have done your thorough pre purchase inspection I would expect around a $1000 to be spent almost on any AAtv . If u purchase it and u donot have to spend the money great but at least u allowed for some suprises .
    Tomo

Yes there will be some surprises all right. No matter what you buy.
    As for a 6x6 or 8x8 I would go the 8x8 for sure far more room and you can carry a heaver load for sure. I have no trouble on narrow mountain roads and even in the alpine. Spookum is right on the attack angle. The longer machine gives you a lot smother ride.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Old Tucker; 07-12-2014 at 03:35 AM. Reason: photos ???o

Some guys get defencive when I put it this way, but really I am not trying to slam anyones machine.
    My opinion, and the opinion of the guys I ride with is this:
    The 6x6 Argo is a great SECOND machine. They require less maintenence, turn easy, are lighter, are easier to get unstuck, ect. They are rougher riding, haul less gear, are less stable, ect.
    Absolutely NOTHING wrong with getting a 6x6 if it fits your purpose (I had one for a while, it just didn't fit my needs)
    500hrs is really nothing. I used to think 3000hrs was a lot untill I saw some machines with way more than that.
    RD

I like the 8x8 myself as the ride is smoother, and I've climbed out of mud holes the 6x6 just could not quite make and vise verse some places the 6x6 could go I couldn't, trails sometimes are a little rough but if I can't make a turn, I make my own trail, as the 8x8 being alittle heavier I just bulldoze the brush

@RD, 3000 hours, wow! Mine should last a lifetime! A lot of machines for sale in Alberta with around 900-1000 hours on em. Totally trashed, seems like the rental company's do very minimal maint on em and just sell them off when something major goes. My parts machine had ~ 950 hours on it, not one good bearing left on the axles but the engine was still good. Argos should go along time if proper Maintanence is done.

+ Reply to Thread