A few questions, brakes, trans ect.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A few questions, brakes, trans ect.

A few questions, brakes, trans ect.

So I got the Ol' girl running. But have a few questions. The brakes don't seem to work as good as they did before. I really have to pull back hard to get them to grab. Do I need new pads? Or do I need to bleed them? I take any lines off or anything.
    Next, it seems to be idling a lot higher than it did. Could this be due to the new trans? It seems to make some noices when I brake and the clutch stops spinning. Not sure if this too is just the newness?
    Also there are 2 holes in the top of the trans. There weren't on the old one. They are threaded and one lets a little gear oil out on inclines. Should I just get a bolt to plug it up? It's not a breather hole. It's easy to big for that. It is the hole to the right.

Lastly, should I save, sell or scrap my old trans? There's not a hole lot of salvageable parts in it. But there are a few.
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Save the old one, holes are for the shift gate that the early machines did not have. You can order one if wanted or just put the 2 bolts in. Check you don't have the throttle cable too taught.

That's a great idea on the cable. I will check that first. Thanks for the info.

Any ideas on the brakes? They just don't seem to grab like they did before.

Try cleaning the disc's and pads w/ some brake cleaner. Perhaps they picked up some greasy fingerprints during the servicing

Like Joe wrote clean the discs and the pads with brake cleaner, if the discs are rusty some sand paper carefully while running will clean them up nice.

BE CAREFUL if you do this, run the machine slowly in low and do not apply alot of pressure, be aware of the bolt hole in the disc. Removing the calipers would be safer only giving you more room, removing the discs and doing it by hand is safest.

I'll try the suggestions and see what happens. Thanks for the info guys.

Cleaning the rotors worked like a charm. They were very greasy. I thought I was careful not to touch the rotor faces. But evidently I was careful enough. Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread