Argo 8x8 Brake caliper question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Argo 8x8 Brake caliper question

Hmm, I'm going back 20 odd years or so when he was surly, he may have altered now. The insurance thing for playdays is rearing it's ugly head again. Apparently, according to a mate who used to run them and a few landowners I know, it's all to do with some negligence ruling.

Example given to me ran something like this.
    Bloke A organises a fun day, bloke B pays his money and enters site. Bloke A has marshals, cones, tapes etc marking off safe areas. Bloke B gets out his motor and lies down in track on other side of large hump. land Rover comes over hump and squashes him. Bloke B sues Bloke A for negligence. Court rules that it was possible for bloke B to do this therefore Bloke A is negligent for not taking it in to consideration and putting marshal there !!!

Now this ain't bull, this is from the organisers themselves, this is what the courts are ruling. I know in this country you can't sign away your rights regarding negligence, and it looks like the no win no fee mob have jumped on the band wagon. Hopefully Cameron will do as he says and bring in an idiot law absolving organisers from this sort of stupidity in order to get compo.

HI
    Try using and old pad with a caliper piston wind back tool [just to keep the piston 90 degrees to hole .
    There may be little room I suspect
    U can use either silicon brake slide lube [very slippery] or rubber grease .
    If there is a piston boot u can either install boot on the piston first then install boot into caliper and push piston in .
    The other way is to install seal and boot into caliper apply compressed air to enter via the bleeder[seal with rag ]
    The piston needs to be then installed as the air that's escaping is expanding the boot over the piston ..

tomo

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    HI
    Try using and old pad with a caliper piston wind back tool [just to keep the piston 90 degrees to hole .
    There may be little room I suspect
    U can use either silicon brake slide lube [very slippery] or rubber grease .
    If there is a piston boot u can either install boot on the piston first then install boot into caliper and push piston in .
    The other way is to install seal and boot into caliper apply compressed air to enter via the bleeder[seal with rag ]
    The piston needs to be then installed as the air that's escaping is expanding the boot over the piston ..

tomo
    Thanks for thos tips Tommo, I was talking about this this morning to a Land Rover mechanic friend of mine, he mentioned some special greese for brakes that's so full of nasties they can't sell it to the public (name escapes me) he's offered to do the seals for me, top man!

That'll be the red grease they used to supply with seal kits etc years ago, you can still buy it trade. Don't get eating the stuff, it'll do you no good at all

Odds on they will be like most calliper seals, fiddly and time consuming. If you set out knowing it's going to be awkward and don't get wound up you'll succeed eventually.

Hi
    Only RUBBER GREASE if u use normal automotive grease it contains petroleum products which will degrade the rubber boot/seal in a short period of time
    Grease is red in colour and slippery

caliper Vasoline /petroleum jelly ok if nothing else available

Silicon caliper slide lube -very good for caliper piston install as well -clear colour

tomo

+ Reply to Thread