Trolling Motor on Argo ~ Best amount of thurst etc/ brands suggestions plz

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trolling Motor on Argo ~ Best amount of thurst etc/ brands suggestions plz

5 hp Nissan 4 stroke gas outboard- moves it along a good clip, more than enough to deal with any current or wind.

PS- you need long shaft version

Quote Originally Posted by montague View Post
    5 hp Nissan 4 stroke gas outboard- moves it along a good clip, more than enough to deal with any current or wind.

PS- you need long shaft version
    I was worried about whether a short shaft would work or not. Where is your outboard mounted? I have built a custom engine mount that comes up from the hitch and is adjustable to different heights but have not had a chance to measure how much I'd need in the shaft as it's up at the cottage and I forgot about it until now.. I'm still in the market for an engine or motor. Have not had the time on the ARGO as I had wanted this year...good thing fall is coming soon.

I have a 50 lb Minn Kota on a 750 HDI with tracks and it does well in the lake, very stable and moves around easy. I have not tried it in the river but I will on Saturday. I will update.

IMG_1129[1].jpgIMG_1130[1].jpgIMG_1131[1].jpgIMG_1132[1].jpgI have been running a 55 lb Minn Kota on my 750 HDI as well and moves it around pretty good on a small lake. My only problem is that I ran out of battery power one day and had to crawl through a private cottage to get out of the lake and back on the road.
    So Battery power is something to watch for if you intend on doing a lot of trolling. I have attached some pictures of the mounting. I have the rear mounting plate for the winch and a bought a second top plate. Then a fashioned a piece of 6x6 block to support the motor. With a bungee cord and the trailer hitch supporting all the weight the motor is very secure and can handle the roughest terrain. To get the motor to line up with the bracket I needed to extend the transom mount horizontally by using 2 pieces of 3/4 in plywood fused to together then screwing them top the transom.

On the factory transom mount you definitely need a long shaft, I have only tried a short shaft and the propeller is not fully submersed in the water.

If you guys do a lot of fishing, which I do, I happy to share my configuration for rear seats and a depth finder if you are interested.

how did this work in river did not see update

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried a electric motor mounted off the front end, turbulence should not be a problem then?

You guys should invest in a larger diameter prop with a smaller pitch. No point having an outboard that was meant to move a jon boat or zodiac at plane, your outboard can never get an argo up to the power band or you will just cavitation.

A larger diameter prop will give you more thrust, and with less pitch you will get a slower top speed than the outboard was designed for, but will push better.

2 30 pound thrusters will move you better than a single 60 because you have more prop surface area.

Hi Folks, I got a new electric trolling motor. I couldn't wait to test it but the water was rough. Here is a short movie.
    When I get the chance to give it a better try, I will report.

Last edited by Mike; 05-19-2016 at 07:38 PM. Reason: embedded video by using filmstrip button

^^^^^^^
    What size trolling motor is that?

+ Reply to Thread