Trolling Motor on Argo ~ Best amount of thurst etc/ brands suggestions plz

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trolling Motor on Argo ~ Best amount of thurst etc/ brands suggestions plz

Trolling Motor on Argo ~ Best amount of thurst etc/ brands suggestions plz

Hi guys,

Finally got my argo out this past weekend for the first time. And what a blast it was. Such a beast. I'm used to 4x4 atvs and it's so nice having the ability to just float through the deep stuff.

However out in the ponds etc I wasn't as impressed as it was painfully slow and most of the ponds have lots of logs etc that require to be pushed out of the way.

Wondering what you guys could suggest for a good setup to allow small lake/pond traversal much easier.

Do most use a gas outboard engine mounted on the rear or is a trolling motor sufficient.

I'm leaning more towards the trolling motor as I already have a few heavy duty larger batteries. I'm just wondering what the minimum thrust would be for a decent set.

Any suggestions would be appreciated also if you have a particular brand to reocmmend that would be great too as I'm not familiar with what's good and bad in the world of trolling motors.

Thanks!

Well I have a bigfoot and I have a 30lb thrust trolling motor. I use my argo in a river up in Maine and it goes like this. When out of the current the 30 will push about the same speed as the tires maybe a little faster. It is silent though. Last fall I tried it in the river again and the current was moving pretty good, the 30 pushed it against the current but barely and I went back to the tires for propulsion and got 2 mph on the gps. I am looking to get a 45 to 55 lb trolling motor but not sure what that would do for speed or power. I have been in the same river with my brother in the argo with me about 500lb of passenger cargo and when the river sped up I had to move towards the bank and out of the worst of the cuurent just to make it back up stream and that was with tires. I like the trolling motors for weight, noise and manueverability. I like to fish in the same river and the trolling motor allows me to get where i want to fish easily and quietly. If you go trolling go bigger, and post or pm with the details of how it works for you. If the larger motor is not to effective I won't buy one.

HI,
    I pm Whipper about his electric trolling motor [posted about it a while ago ]
    Comments were all positive 45lbs thrust moves well even in lower speeds easily faster than tires in calm water . River current he could not comment on .Battery life around 4hrs using an automotive type.
    On this performance I will buy one but not until my summer .

cheers tomo

I had a 55lb Minn Kota on my 8 wheel Conquest worked great
    '99 Conquest 104hp turbocharged intercooled EFI Chevy Sprint conversion
    "Argo 8x8's only" type of guy
    "old school Argo expert"

I have a 28lbs on my magnum, i put a general motors alternator in there and ran 2 heavy duty jumper cable wires to the back and hook the motor up to those, i ran a second throttle cable to the back as well and i go across a fairly high current river with no problems, probably twice as fast as my uncles new hdi with tires only. Best 60$ i ever spent
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

I run a 56lbs watersnake motor on my avenger8x8 and it goes much faster and way more manoeuvrable than using the wheels. Use it for fishing. I run a separate 96ah battery and it lasts a full day of fishing without draining the battery.

thanks guys for the input.

Just wondering what size outboards people are running. I finally have my mount all build, just need to make the final decision. Still yet to get out on the argo this season.

I have a 4hp yamaha 4 stroke on mine and it does just fine. Really I have never opened it up as I dont need speed just the ability to move easily. I also have a 55ft lb trolling motor and I have yet to try it on the argo, it did VERY well on my max iv and it was not nearly as well mounted.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

I have a 56lb thrust Minkota on my 1996 6x6 Vanguard, I wish I had more.

Attachment 13623I have a 45lb thrust trolling motor on mine. Works well for my needs. I have not tested mine on a river though, just open water. Did not GPS to see how fast I was going, but must have been at least 3-4mph. I have it running off of its own marine battery I store in the back.
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread