Cleaning and/or replacing pickup tube on an Argo Avenger 750 EFI

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning and/or replacing pickup tube on an Argo Avenger 750 EFI

Cleaning and/or replacing pickup tube on an Argo Avenger 750 EFI

I understand Argo has a new fuel tank pickup tube ... a filter on the bottom rather than just a screen. The last trip out I barely made it back so I want to take out the tank and clean it and either clean out the old pickup tube and replace it or install the new one. No problem with taking out the tank as there are excellent instructions here: http://www.6x6world.com/images/argo/...el-Systems.pdf but how difficult is it to replace the pickup tube with either the old one once I have it cleaned or the new one with the filter? Does it just unscrew? Does it just push in and sealed with some kind of sealant? Or some other way? I notice the one that's in the tank now appears to have some kind of pink looking sealant(?) around the fitting.

Before I start taking out the tank and breaking this down, I'd really appreciate hearing a few details from someone who has repaired or replaced the pickup tube.

Thanks.

The tube is push in with a rubber grommet seal. Reinstalling is easiest with the seal about half way up the tube then install both in the tank and seat the seal. WD40 for lube helps seat the tube in the seal. I usually don't pull the tank just the storage compartment. Be carefull drilling the rivits as you could drill the tank. I've had to clean the screens with acetone to get the gunk off. The screen comes with the pickup tube. Plugged pickup is usually what I find on one that runs god for an hour or so then craps out. By the time it's trailered back some crud has fallen off and they run fine for a bit. Good luck

Thanks msai65. I appreciate the prompt reply. So, the tube is just pushed in, not sealed in any way? You might be right about the crud falling off. I barely made it back out of the bush, but now in the backyard everything seems ok. Hope it's not the coil breaking down when it gets hot ... or some other expensive problem. I just found this, by the way: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...71778758,d.cGU It's a PDF file so it has to be opened. There's no link that I can see. Might be helpful to someone ... but, I haven't really read it yet. Thanks again!

By the way, did you reuse the old grommet seal or replace it with a new one? As far as the tank is concerned, I believe I read somewhere that it might be a good idea to take it out and clean any foreign material out of it, too.

I reuse the seal as it isn't available seperate from the tube. I wouldn't rivit the storage tray back in as it is real
    Easy to remove when already loose. I also have a small hand transfer pump with a metal tone on it that I draw off a couple quarts of fuel right from the pocket on bottom of the tank. This cleans the area that collects crud pretty well.

+ Reply to Thread