new bigfoot owner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new bigfoot owner

new bigfoot owner

i just traded a mule( the 4 legged longeared type) for a 2000 bigfoot.\
    I had to go through the carburetor and i have it running pretty good but the motor seems a little underpowered when turning even in low range. is this normal or do i need to check for bigger problems with the engine. it needs a few wheel bearings and that maybe partly to blame for the power loss while turning. any other thoughts on what to check?

Bearings are an issue , my friend that I ride with also has a Bigfoot he bought new in 2000, with care it has just had it's first complete wheel bearing overhaul just about 2 years ago .. he has well over 3000, hours on the machine . He uses it almost every day if not riding trails , then pulling log and wood for his fire wood supply. He has the low geared transmission and with the 18hp brigs it is nothing to see him pull 50'-60' oak trees around for him to cut up ,,( standing dead trees he culls from his wood patch)
    They are a great machine wish you many happy trails when you have gotten your machine up to running seeing what he can do and does with his machine I wish at times I had one , I have a high geared Frontier that is a bit much at times for my abilities and usage as far as speed goes ,,,I am still on the learning curve myself but the info here and people are great and will help answers questions.
    bg

Good move on the trade,the Bigfoot won't be quite as stubborn as the mule. Seriously though,if you have never owned/driven an Argo before,do some reading on this site pertaining to Argo driving techniques. None of these machines like to turn from a stand still,a little fwd motion helps a lot. There are other tricks to mastering the Argo transmission. Knowing of them and finding out how to apply them will make your machine much more capable. As for the bearings,no biggie. The are very affordable,easy to obtain and,generally speaking,not a huge task to replace. Do the lip seals in the aluminum flanges at the same time and you will get many more years of enjoyment from your Argo. They are very robust units.

Regarding parts... I've had very good service with Argo Adventure | Argo Atv | Argo Parts.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I have ordered all the bearings from argoparts. I ordered 3 sets and have put them in then decided might as well do idler shafts and the other 3 axles, so now just waiting on the white truck.

I noticed while removing my chains the left caliper is dragging, Gonna put a little cleaning to it and see if it will loosen up.
    I've driven this particular machine on several occasions before I traded. It has always seemed a little weak but after checking. It over I think a little maintenance will help.

Cotton

I'm not a mechanic, but I've owned a 98 'foot from new. Like BW3 says of his buddy's machine, power has never been a problem. The 18 hp Briggs is a wonderful little engine and when put in low range, your 'foot should turn easily. The great thing about them is that your local small engine mechanic can work on them. I would recommend that if you feel you are not getting full power, take it in for a tune up and once over.

My 'foot has pulled full sized dead cows across a flooded pasture from dry ground to water and back to dry, dragged 40 foot logs, unstuck full sized pickup trucks and once pulled 2 cow elk uphill 3/4 of a mile to a road. When you put that lover in low gear, it will move things. I start all new drivers off in low gear. The extra power makes it so much easier to learn how to drive. Then when they get the feel of it, high gear is much easier to master. Brakes are also an issue with turning, check your fluid level and make sure that they both have the same "feel" when you are using them. Also check the pads for wear. They are very easy to replace and if I say that you know its true. Mechanicing is not my strong suit.

You're gonna love this machine. My buddy that has an 8 wheeler always tells me how much easier the 'foot works in trees and brush and how much more power it seems to have. Good luck, and don't be afraid to give me a shout if you have questions.

+ Reply to Thread