Front Axle removal (cant pound it out)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Axle removal (cant pound it out)

try a bearing puler

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    You can make a "Slide Hammer" that bolts to the axle wheel studs.
    If you can take the left axle out, you can use a long steel bar to feed through from the left side across to the end of the right axle, and beat the steel rod with a sledge hammer.
    You can cut the bearing or the axle with a grinder and Zip Cut blade.
    You can use a Logging Chain, loop one end of the chain on the axle flange, then stand back with the other end of the chain and "whip" it like you are beating some poor slave in the old days.
    If you have a Porta-Power that will fit in there, you can press from the left side frame across to the right axle.
    Heat (Torch) is always interesting and dangerous, at the same time. Don't recommend that on front axles.

RD
    These are all some interesting ideas and I should put a few to the test. I'm thinking the chain is the easiest. I have a feeling removing the left side will be just as hard on this machine as the right, so I have not bothered down that road but I was thinking that too.
    Would you have a suggestion or a pic of the slide hammer idea? Seems like the most orthodox way to do this removal properly (without pulling the power pack).

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Definitely don't want to cut it all out, as I know that is an option but just not the right one for now. I'm still not that frustrated as of now. lol

A slide hammer is simple to make. You need a piece of good steel plate drilled to fit over the wheel studs, in the centre of that plate weld a 2' length of something like 1/2" bar, get a good heavy hunk of steel with a hole in the middle that will slide over the 1/2" bar. Slide the lump of steel over the bar and weld a SUBSTANTIAL stop to the bar (the opposite end to the piece of plate with the wheel holes in)

You bolt it all to the wheel flange with the wheel nuts, slide the heavy lump of steel down the 1/2" bar to the wheel flange and then whack it back to the stop on the other end of the bar. Mind your fingers, I'm no doctor but I know it WILL hurt if you get them trapped.
    A good solid slide hammer is capable of ripping the frame apart so take care.

Slide Hammers

[IMG][/IMG]

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Slide Hammers

[IMG][/IMG]

RD

Ha ha, a picture's worth a thousand words

Be careful it is not unheard of to pull the studs out of the flange ,,,,, brute strength can get $$$$$ ,,,,don't ask How I know ....

For the cost of the bearing of about $35. Just take a long punch.and hammer, hit the outer race in a couple of spots and she will fall apart. take a screwdriver and remove the balls. Then you should be able to just pull the axle out. Its a lot quicker. Far less hassle.

I had a really stuck front axle in my conquest when I did a complete bearing change. I went out and bought a slide hammer just like the one on the right in Rockdoc pic. Three hits and it was out. Oh and wear a good leather glove on your hand that is slamming the weighted grip. I got my slide hammer kit for $75.
    Last edited by Dan67; 08-07-2014 at 10:29 PM.

The best way I've found, and I have several slide hammers, is to buy a cheap air chisel gun (WalMart has them) and cut the pointed one off flat and start banging inside the hub. The sharp continuous rap will loosen the worst of them. Of course I'm assuming you have air, if not, slide hammer gets it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    For the cost of the bearing of about $35. Just take a long punch.and hammer, hit the outer race in a couple of spots and she will fall apart. take a screwdriver and remove the balls. Then you should be able to just pull the axle out. Its a lot quicker. Far less hassle.
    Splined sprocket doesn't clear the inner race of bearing. That is how to get to it to cut race though.

+ Reply to Thread