Front Axle removal (cant pound it out)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Axle removal (cant pound it out)

Front Axle removal (cant pound it out)

I need to remove a right front axle from an earlier (95)Response, however the axle is probably seized on the inner bearing or possibly outer. The sprocket is free and can move and i've got all the bolts off the bearing extension and set screws etc.
    I'm just finding that pounding on the axle is not enough as the power pack is right there and you can only swing 3 " max. Any suggestions? Is the best bet to just remove the complete power pack? Don't realyl want to pull that unless necesarry.

Neeed to replace the cork seal.

If so looking for a sequence on that as the manual doesn't say much.

thanks!

There is a bolt right on the inner end of the axle that holds the axle in place. you can not remove the axle without taking it out. Maybe that is what is the problem ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    There is a bolt right on the inner end of the axle that holds the axle in place. you can not remove the axle without taking it out. Maybe that is what is the problem ?????
    LOL if only that was my problem. I've removd it. I watched a few vids where they put it on a few threads and pound it out via that bolt.
    I tried this with the bolt in and off.. same result. Either way how do you swing a hammer with 3" of clearance to get at the axle.

Not a mechanic and this may make a lot of those here cringe ,,,, but maybe try soaking with a good penetrating oil as long as possible longer is better and very carefully using a soft wood ( pine or such) tap as close to the wheel flange on the outside of the Body ,, tap and turn , tap and turn watching for and being careful as not to bend the wheel flange ... ya I know scary ... I think I have also seen where some one made an axle puller by machining a clamp that goes around the axle shaft and pushes against the body/frame some how ...worst case maybe cut the inner flange to let it pass through the frame ( going by that the hole in the frame of my Frontier is large enough to pass the bearing through without the flange) and take the whole axle out far enough so as to get a bearing puller on it inside ... worst worst case would be to then cut the bearing off inside your hull/ body but at least it is 6" of space to work in and not 3" ... Best of Luck

bg

Quote Originally Posted by BW3 View Post
    Not a mechanic and this may make a lot of those here cringe ,,,, but maybe try soaking with a good penetrating oil as long as possible longer is better and very carefully using a soft wood ( pine or such) tap as close to the wheel flange on the outside of the Body ,, tap and turn , tap and turn watching for and being careful as not to bend the wheel flange ... ya I know scary ... I think I have also seen where some one made an axle puller by machining a clamp that goes around the axle shaft and pushes against the body/frame some how ...worst case maybe cut the inner flange to let it pass through the frame ( going by that the hole in the frame of my Frontier is large enough to pass the bearing through without the flange) and take the whole axle out far enough so as to get a bearing puller on it inside ... worst worst case would be to then cut the bearing off inside your hull/ body but at least it is 6" of space to work in and not 3" ... Best of Luck

bg
    I debated the hammering the wheel flange with a big piece of wood but i definitely think it will just bend before coming out. And yes I've been soaking in penetrating oil.
    Dont want to cut it. I'd rather remove the power pack if that was the case.

I had to cut the inner bearing. Used a dremel with cutting wheels. It's a pain. Make sure you use never seize for the re- assembly. I changed all bearings 3 years ago and prepped for future removal, just replaced a front axle due to warpped flange ande it came out very easy.

You can make a "Slide Hammer" that bolts to the axle wheel studs.
    If you can take the left axle out, you can use a long steel bar to feed through from the left side across to the end of the right axle, and beat the steel rod with a sledge hammer.
    You can cut the bearing or the axle with a grinder and Zip Cut blade.
    You can use a Logging Chain, loop one end of the chain on the axle flange, then stand back with the other end of the chain and "whip" it like you are beating some poor slave in the old days.
    If you have a Porta-Power that will fit in there, you can press from the left side frame across to the right axle.
    Heat (Torch) is always interesting and dangerous, at the same time. Don't recommend that on front axles.

RD

Axle puller works great
    Cutting or distorting just the outer inner flange will allow axle to slide enough to maybe get a puller on the inner bearing
    Cutting the inner bearing works
    Don't recommend heat either
    RD's pass through deal should work
    Removing the powerpack lets the bfh in there with a 3/4 or 7/8 punch/bar

Try to remove the longs bolts on outer flange some first, have had be the problem a few times. You could tap with a hammer from inside the tub or pry them from the outside flange. 1 inch of free travel in the outer flange can make a huge dif..

Last resort,cut axle. ( I hate that one )

Great where were you Rock Doctor when I was struggling, sure now you've got plenty of answers and options. Nearly threw my back out trying to contort myself trying to cut that bearing, sheesh!.........

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    Great where were you Rock Doctor when I was struggling, sure now you've got plenty of answers and options. Nearly threw my back out trying to contort myself trying to cut that bearing, sheesh!.........

Sorry, I'm on vacation :-)

Glad to hear you got it though.

RD

+ Reply to Thread