First Argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Argo

First Argo

It's been 32 years since I first drove through a flooded forest with my father and his friend in a 1971 6x6. I can still remember it clearly though it was early in my childhood.

My second experience was being driven to the top of a ski hill one summer as part if a tour.

I finally got my own, an 8x8 :-). Time to hit the trails tomorrow and try it out for the first time as a driver (unless loading it on a trailer counts, lol!

No more stairing enviously at everyone else's!

I've ordered tracks and read the owners manual, any tips for a very new driver?

Congrats on your Argo! Just take it easy and get the feel of the machine and enjoy the day. What model of 8x8 did you get?
    It was childhood encounters with these strange machines that got me hooked.

I sold a few other toys and picked up an HDi. I debated getting something older but I live in a duplex and have nowhere to work on it and getting a mechanic up here is next to impossible.

Grease all bearings regularly. Spray the chains with chain lube each ride. These will last longer this way.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

Be patience..Do not try and force the machine to go where you want or think it should go. Start with a few small areas to get the feel of the machine and places where it will be easy to winch out off. This way you will not be disappointed when you get into some heavier stuff and challanging terrain.

What tracks did you order?

Congrats on the machine.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Congrat to you Sard.

Conratations on the machine. My only advice is, have a blast man. I love my machine and am continually amazed at what it can do. But I take it slow on and get adventurous only on e in a while. Also I would start looking for a place to work on it. These are super easy machines to work on and it's going to happen. Your going to want to add things and things are eventually going to wear.

Good points, thanks. I'll be sure to stay in winching distance of the tree line. I settled on the Adair pro tracks based on what I've seen and the winter cleat kit.

good choice for both, the machine and the adair tracks

I can't wait for the tracks, went for a ride with my kids in what is normally a very wet area. And only found one hole with water in it. If it was full, no problem, but it was nearly empty and the entry/exits were 1.5 foot verticals. Didn't think I could get through it because of that, couldn't get around it) and there were no good trees for winching so I turned around. Another 1.5' water and it wouldn't have been an issue.

Its a tough trail, and I think my transmission started to overheat because the diagnostic light would come on, then off after I let it sit for a while. Just a guess because I can't find anything about it in the user manual. Fluid levels and everything are good.

On the way back I was passed by at few quads and utv's with exhausted kids sleeping in them. One quad was pulling a top end can am that apparently didn't float very well. Felt sorry for the guy, his wife was pulling him and she looked somewhat unhappy.

The crazy thing is that this trail leads to an abandoned field, at one point farm equipment was moved along it and crops moved out.

+ Reply to Thread