Heat generated from the HDI exhaust system and modifing the stock exhaust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Heat generated from the HDI exhaust system and modifing the stock exhaust

We watched an episode of life below zero where the woman driving a centaur in that cold climate also had belt slipping issues. My girlfriend said go ahead and say it " women drivers" lol. Much to her surprise I said that's the nature of the beast with any aatv.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi
    Super Trapp sell weld on units 1 1/2, 1 3/4 inch allowing u to change discs etc to suit power /noise levels .For a bandalero engine [5600rpm 570cc] the 1 1/2 is ok . I do use a straight thru style muffler as well . Quietens engine well without being restrictive .The discs also serve as a spark arrestor . An engine can produce sparks. Nobody wants to set the brush on fire !!!!! The discs run hot ..
    Also ceramic coating on the header pipes will cut the radiant heat of the pipes by half .
    U can use fibre glass header wrap but remember this overheats the steel that much it crystalizes and the pipe goes brittle 6-12mth life span .
    Weld on or clamp on stainless heat shield is also an idea
    U could weld on stainless shield to take advantage of any air coming off the engine to cool the pipes. Waste hot air directed out of the body.
    tomo
    All great ideas Tomo, I was going to do the heat wrap but as you stated eventually the pipes will get brittle. I think I'll paint the headers, go with the heat shield and run it a while to see what happens. I am pretty sure these simple things will be effective in solving the heat issues without going over board.

It seems really sad to me that you guys pay so much for theses Argos and everyone has these heat issues, argo should step up and make proper mods to eliminate these problems... Just seems wired to me... Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    It seems really sad to me that you guys pay so much for theses Argos and everyone has these heat issues, argo should step up and make proper mods to eliminate these problems... Just seems wired to me... Norm.
    Norm-I couldn't agree with you more. It seems to me that Argo could locate a smaller muffler outside of the engine bay in the screened area dissipating heat out side of the engine bay with very little effort. To me they are taking a cost effective way that leaves the problems at the consumer end to resolve engineering issues that should have been addressed at the factory. When you consider that an HDI cost more money then many new economy cars you wonder what the heck the Argo engineers are thinking sending out machines with problems like these.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.

I couldn't agree more with the above. Argo has been working to resolve the heat issues, slowly but surely. The new machines have the hood scoop with an optional vent to pull heat out of the engine bay.
    The problem is utilizing a stock Briggs or Kohler engine without mods. For example, the oil cooler on my Argo with the 23 H.P. Briggs is on the back side of the engine where virtually no air circulates (maybe just hot air). While the engine is adequate power-wise it suffers from a restrictive stock muffler that is inside the hood and just acts as a major heat source. The muffler is so close to the carb that I think a lot of the fuel is boiled away before it reaches the intake, resulting in stumbling and running rough when the temperature is above 70 degrees.
    Other than those issues my machine is a fine piece of equipment. With some refinement on the packaging it could also perform well in hot weather environments.
    My understanding is Argo is soon to introduce a new machine with many of the design issues addressed. Look for better cooling, more power and fuel injection.
    I believe the new engine will be a version of the Kohler 29 H.P. EFI engine. Hopefully packaged in such a way to get the heat out of the engine bay. From what I hear we may also see a modern design for the body and some other updates.

Hi Dan,

What was the temperature/humidity on the days you were having problems? Any concerns about the increased power on the drive-train? Thanks for your detailed video on your modifications. I love the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sard View Post
    Hi Dan,

What was the temperature/humidity on the days you were having problems? Any concerns about the increased power on the drive-train? Thanks for your detailed video on your modifications. I love the idea!
    Hey Sard, I don't believe the machine has ever been run under 70 degrees, most of the time the temperature was over 80 degrees. Any time I run the machine in late spring, summer or late fall I can pretty much plan on temperatures above 80 degrees. I am right on coast and this area has hundreds of miles of marsh lands with a coastal salt marsh right behind my home so humidity in Savannah is always high, almost always above 50%. Even in the winter Savannah it will get into the 70's so unless I take it out early on a winter morning it is going to be warm. (we do get into the 30's and high 20's on winter nights and mornings)

So basically anytime I run the machine I am generally going to be in warm temperatures, the exception being cool (45-55 degrees) winter days.

Pertaining to power-The exhaust system doesn't really produce enough extra power to put a strain on an already good HDI drive train.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 08-10-2014 at 03:44 AM.

That's good information, thanks for the reply.

+ Reply to Thread